Engineered4Herps: Engineered Solutions for Keepers - What problems are you facing?

Omg what if it was like a plate you could mount (either with screws or strong magnets) to the ceiling of your enclosure that a hidebox can slide and click into? You could remove it by pushing up a latch and sliding the hide out from the mounting plate, so that way your animal is still accessible wherever it is in the enclosure.

3 Likes

I know there’s some guys who work with scrub pythons and Morelia that have some pretty interesting arboreal hide designs that they either 3D print or something like that. I’d have to go back and see some videos to remember who but one of the bigger scrub python breeders in the US is one I’m thinking of

3 Likes

This is something I’m especially interested in.

I currently use coconut hides but they are a pain to put in.

Id really like to see more climbing & burrowing options, maybe with hides? that are easy to put into enclosures.

From small arboreal climbers (geckos) to snakes. I’m looking into redoing our king snake enclosures but so struggling unless I put a lot of manual work in, which I don’t mind but not everyone can afford to do so.

I have spent a lot of time on my crested gecko enclosures but would be great if I didn’t have to spend so much time and could of bought ledges etc

3 Likes

Ooh this might be unfeasable, but a little suction cup/3D printed burrow insert with an open/clear side so that a burrow could be encouraged that is visible. Kind of like those bird houses that stick to windows and have the clear side so you can see the birds?
Although the clear material would need to be two sided so light doesn’t make the animal feel unsafe, rendering a burrow useless, so I’m not sure how possible it is, but its a fun idea!

1 Like

They have rail systems that let you slide a basic black ground hide into. If you want/need to change the hide size, you have to unscrew the whole setup and screw in a new one.I would like something more an integrated whole. And also maybe less destructive overall to the cage - 12-15 screws to mount the rails chews up the ceiling, more so if you want to swap out sizes.

I would also like something a bit more realistic looking, but that is just because I am THAT guy LOL

Ooooooohh… This sparked another buried idea: Nest/burrow complexes

There are a number of species that live/hunt in mammal burrows. Something that could simulate these and be dropped into the bottom of the cage and covered over with media/dirt would be EPIC!! More so if it also included access panels to allow for feeders to be dropped in, allowing you to really simulate the wild

6 Likes

I wonder if you bolted a steel plate to the inside of the enclosure, if you could use a hide with neodymium mounting magnets to hold it up. Would be easy to remove for cleaning, and if there was a different size you wanted, as long as the plate was wide enough, youd be OK

2 Likes

Well that is an interesting idea… :thinking: :thinking:

2 Likes

The other option is to have the slide on rail system be the same size no matter how big/small the hide is. So you go up a size but the rails on the bottom are the same size - the hide would probably have to be fully enclosed with a “bottom” (or top depending how you look at it lol)

Edit: to be clear I like fully enclosed hides as my male Colombian almost only uses them for some reason, like the rocks that have holes and come in half from ExoTerra or others, but hate when the entrance isn’t partly an open circle or half moon. I worry about an animal getting stuck when it’s just a circle hole, and have taken a Dremel to a hide for that reason lol

1 Like

Another thing is it’d be nice to see more round or at least hexagonal hides. My BP doesn’t like and will avoid rectangular ones unless there’s nothing else.

2 Likes

This looks incredible, especially considering my issues are with lighting and fixtures predominantly

It’s such a pain in the backside and so expensive to get and fit the correct fittings for reptile bulbs
Would love to see easy mount fittings, at a similar price point to your standard diy store fittings :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes