Ethics of Spiders and Spider Breeding

I just bought a spider. Yes I know that the offspring can or will have a wobble.
But from what spiders I have seen other people show, the wobbles are not bad. Yes I have watched a few videos of the extreme wobble that they have.
I hope I never have any babies like that.
My spider female is not just spider it has 3 other genes in it also. I don’t know if that helps keep them from having a wobble or not. Does it?

Question: Where did the first Spider come from and did it have a wobble?

1 Like

I recently took on a Leopard Enchi Spider, didn’t have the worst wobble but was noticeable.

I brought the whole rack and all equipment aswell, heatmats, stat etc. I didn’t change any settings on the stat, just plugged it in when I got home and let it settle itself (minus inhabitants).

The heat mat covered about half of the tub and to my surprise when I temp checked with my heat gun I was getting readings of 35/36°C.

This was quickly rectified and stat adjusted to what the actual temps were and not what the stat said! I have now moved them into my own racking where they are on Orchid Bark and coconut husk azwell as having a hide rather than just water bowl on paper towl.

The point at the end of all this is that I barely notice any spider wobble at all. The only time is when it is time to feed and he gets excited … the wobble is almost non existent even when handling.

I believe if you can see the wobble noticeably then you have got something wrong somewhere.

Nerd imported the first one and they have always had neurological problems.

2 Likes

It does not and if you stack “wobble” genes it will be worse.

Just because you don’t notice it doesn’t mean it’s not there. The Neuro issue will always be an issue with spiders and certain morphs. With that being said I have yet to hatch a spider or “wobble” morph that failed to thrive. I work with about all of them while I don’t recommend certain combos I feel almost all of them we hatch are capable of thriving in captivity.

Blackhead is allelic with spider there als masks the wobble but it is still there.

3 Likes

I know Not to breed two spiders together. I have seen them on video, they either die in the egg or die a few hours after hatching.
I do not intend on getting another spider. She has potential with the other 3 genes, 1 being a recessive to have in a breeding project. Spiders have a beautiful pattern to them. It looks very good with other combos. I didn’t even think to ask about a wobble when I bought Her. But, I don’t think the guy would sell her if it was really bad.

1 Like

I’m not trying to discourage anyone from getting a spider. I love the spider gene just wanted to put out there every single one has neuro issues even if you can’t notice them.

5 Likes

Yeah that’s what I mean. It’s there and won’t go away … but the more noticeable it is then something may be not quite right, heat, humidity, lack of hide etc.

My spider since changing his tub, different substrate, hide and adjusting temps his noticeable wobble has reduced dramatically.

2 Likes

I understand. It is a touchy subject with everyone. It is weird that there has not been any other Spider BP’s imported to the US. Just the one that NERD bought. Surely there was more than one in the wild, unless because of the neuro issue they always get killed by a predator before maturing into adulthood, and the people just lucked up on finding this one.

2 Likes

Always has been. But without the spider gene the ball python won’t of taken off the way it did. People sometimes forget not only does spider have neuro issues so does champagne, sable, hidden gene woma, woma, cypress and others. But in my humble opinion this does not mean these beautiful animals can’t thrive in captivity. They can and will I just don’t advocate breeding combos that are known for severe wobble. I’ve produced champagne sable which while the two I hatched did very well the combo is not one I would try to produce again because the wobble is what I consider verging on extreme.

4 Likes

And I’m sure there was to. I’m guessing more than that one have been imported.

1 Like

I will love my spider girl no matter what. I am still learning about all the other morphs that have issues. I want to breed for pieds, Bels, and albino combos. That is what I like the most.
It will be a few years before She matures. I have plenty of time to do my homework. Making sure I don’t breed the wrong ones together. All the information I have learned from you guys helps a lot. Thanks

1 Like

No problem!!! I work with almost all the “wobble” genes if you ever have any questions about them don’t hesitate to ask! Always more than happy to help anyway I can!

2 Likes

Genetic mutation does not work like that, especially when you are dealing with an essential gene. There are only a small number of changes to the code that can effect a change and still prove viable. In this particular case, we know of four. Depending on who you talk with, we suspect anywhere from one to seven others. The odds of randomly hitting any of those exact spots more than one time are incredibly low.

We also have other morphs that have proven to be the only ones pulled out of the wild: Pin, Sunset, Mojave, Enchi…

5 Likes

Actually, I’ve come to find out that this isn’t entirely true!

From one of my own papers I’ve been writing about the spider morph:

“…The first one was imported from Africa, yes — but it actually came in a pet store shipment that was bought by someone who lived in California.
Freedom Breeder purchased this spider ball python, and sold it to Kevin from NERD. Then Kevin bred it and proved out the morph we know today. See my resources section at the bottom for the video that was posted by Freedom Breeder regarding the origins of the spider morph.”

Link to resource in question: https://youtu.be/N3heMTTtJZs

4 Likes

There was another spider-like animal imported into the UK by millz thakkar (spelling might be wrong) of reptilepit. He has bred it and proven it to be either dominant or incomplete dominant, as the same morph is visually apparent in the babies he produced. Interestingly, there is, he claims, no wobble in either the original animal or the babies, however this is obviously a very small sample size of quite young animals. He has named this gene the bolt.

4 Likes

I looked on reptilepit website, morph market, and world of ball pythons i can’t find it anywhere. Wanted to read more about the Bolt. Do you have a link to share with the information?

1 Like

It’s on his Facebook page and possibly instagram.

1 Like

I think we also need to stop using the word " neuro" we do not know why they wobble. Sure spiders "wobble " if we want a for sure reason why, we need to get herp vets and researchers to find out why. Maybe if we can find out exactly why they wobble, it can be fixed . We do not know for sure if it’s a neurological problem. It could be a vision issue.

I think it has been well established that it’s a neurological disorder. And it’s not just spiders that have neurological issues quite a few do.

3 Likes

I have passed on multiple good deals because I think they will be tougher to sell.

Im so brainwashed if the parent has spider in it i pass

1 Like