Experience with Elaphe carinata

For those who keep Elaphe carinata, what’s has your experience been like (especially CB animals)? Have you had them since they were young? Did you find that they tame down after handling? And I’ve read that they generally have an unpleasant odor regardless if they’ve musked or not, have you found this true?

4 Likes

I do not have direct experience with the king rat snake, but have heard some really calm down, and some are quite flighty. You can’t expect a baby to be super calm yet, like most colubrids it takes some time and size for them to be confident enough to relax around their humans. They do call them the stinking goddess as a nickname, but if it calm down I don’t think you will notice much smell at all. They are awesome colubrids and on my list of a snake I would like to own someday! Big beautiful animals! Hope yours calms down quickly for you! Good luck!:+1:

5 Likes

I don’t own any but have a plan to own a pair in the future. I have heard that they are super awesome and rewarding to own. If you work with them, they can be absolutely wonderful animals, but if you don’t want to work with them, they can be a little bit flighty. They’re a large heavy bodied corn snake with a tude :upside_down_face:.

4 Likes

A rat snake is one type of snake I have never been introduced to but I have always been fascinated by the bamboo rat. I think it is a gorgeous snake! :blush:

4 Likes