Fat-tailed Gecko Care

I’ve started looking at getting a fat-tailed gecko. I’m just looking right now and I may or may not end up getting them. If I do get them they would be housed in the same rack as leopard geckos, at ~87*. I know that they need to be kept at about 90* so I would only do this if the top tubs were hotter. They would be kept in a 28 qt tub (23x16x6"). Most of what I read says that females can be kept together and the male can be added for breeding. Is this outdated information or are fat-tailed geckos tolerant of cohabitation? If they were housed together could 3-4 females be housed together or only 2-3? I was planning on housing them separate but if they do better together then I won’t. Also, they require higher humidity so what is the best substrate for them? I’m assuming that paper towels are best for them but most of what I read recommends loose substrate (usually peat moss and vermiculite or orchid bark).

2 Likes

They don’t require high humidity, more moderate around 50/60. But I keep the side with the moist hides misted and they’re fine.
Also you can keep females together fine too.
I have mine in a bio viv so can’t comment on racking situations really!

4 Likes

I have to confess that I keep my wee BeBe (that’s my AFT’s name) in the same stacking cages as my leos. She seems to be doing very well!

The main change I made was to get her one of the more expensive humid hides that is entirely made from clay/unglazed ceramic/something along those lines, as opposed to just having a dish at the top like that and the rest being plastic. They have deeper water wells and I feel like they provide higher humidity.

BeBe was a slow-grower/runt, and I think she’s smaller than most AFTs, which are smaller than leos in general. It’s tough for me to say because I only own one. But, for her, being so tiny, a ‘Medium’ works well. A larger AFT or a normal-sized leo requires a size ‘Large.’ I think the brand is OMEM. I’ll go take a quick pic in a minute.

1 Like

Here’s the hide:

2 Likes

@ghoulishcresties @mblaney Thank you! If I end up with tubs hot enough I’ll likely get one (or two or three :laughing:). If I do I’ll use paper towel substrate and experiment with different humid hides.

3 Likes

I’d love to work with amel tangerines and I know a breeder working with them. Is it possible to include other morphs with amel or are they lethal or usually lethal?

1 Like

If I end up getting them I’ll likely also pair a zulu het oreo to an oreo het zulu with one of them having whiteout. That should produce a huge variety, all of which look amazing. Are there any problems with oreo, zulu and whiteout combined?

1 Like

No they’re fine combined :relaxed:

I’m actually aiming for whiteout amel Oreo and possibly Zulu in there too :grin:

3 Likes

Now I want one … :woman_facepalming:t4:

3 Likes

Do it!
Been the best years with my guys :relaxed:

They’re lush, Grandpa especially is always out for a snuggle :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

3 Likes

No- BeBe is a Whiteout Oreo Zulu, if I remember correctly.

2 Likes

I’m definitely going to get fat-tails. If the top tubs aren’t hotter then I’ll put them on a different thermostat. Thank you all for your help!

1 Like

That is one way to fix it!

2 Likes