Feeding- advice please I am new!

Probably the reason the breeder didn’t get back to you is probably because he (Mocha) has always been in a small breeder bin for the first 2 years of his life and said breeder assumes you already know that, not that you necessarily should if you’re not familiar with typical breeding setups……

3 Likes

I’m

We’re glad you’ve found the community here, too! We do try to be helpful and welcoming. Griping, shaming, argumentative attitudes - those are not MorphMarket style at all. We were all beginners with everything at some point.

Your Mocha is a handsome little guy. I’m confident that with the good advice of hoggie folks here you’ll get Mocha feeding again. We look forward to updates as things progress.

2 Likes

Martini is adorable! Gotta ask, since I know you sometimes name your creatures for who or where you got them; did you find this one in a martini glass? Maybe instead of an olive?

3 Likes

:joy:. Well tbh a way long time ago I might have! Tangaray martini very dry, ice cold, straight up 3 large olives preferably stuffed with blue cheese!

However I no longer imbibe as I am sure you would have already guessed! :clap:. But his name is a shortened name after his breeder’s last name. I am so predictable ! :joy: And he told me to tell you thank you for the lovely compliment btw!

I used to find my way to the bottom of many a martini glass but no more by The Grace of God! :pray:

3 Likes

Now I need olives!! You’ve hit my weakness. I adore olives, and I adore cheese. Blue cheese stuffed olives are some of my favorite treats.

Amen to all His grace! :pray:

3 Likes

OMG Martini is so handsome!
Thanks for the advice, I have never tried a container in his enclosure before thats a good idea.

3 Likes

True, I did the research on my own based on his size and age but did not take into consideration that with a breeder he would not have been in such a large busy enclosure. Questions to make sure to ask next time around!

3 Likes

Thank you so very much for the compliment! His breeder told me he was very spicy but he is a puppy dog with me! :blush:

3 Likes

A lot of people don’t take this into consideration when buying a snake directly from a breeder. Of course in your case, your hoggie is already 2 years old. It may take more than just a few months to get Mocha acclimated to even a different small bin.

So after he starts eating, and he will, you might have to gradually bump up his tub size just to make sure he keeps eating as he slowly transitions to his grand big boy tank that you have previously provided for him! :clap::clap::clap::sunglasses::star_struck:

Keep the updates coming!

3 Likes

For a container to use, what brand do you use? With the heat mat I don’t want it to melt.

3 Likes

For the heating (in a tub) do you only use the under sode heat mat? Right now to get the warm side to 85 I have a che and a heat mat (cause he burrows). Would just a heat mat make there be a good enough heat gradient?
Sorry if I am over thinking, if I make any changes to his environment I want to try and do it correctly the first time. I have a 5 gallon glass enclosure with a heat mat already attached, do you think moving him down to that would work?

3 Likes

Yes. just make sure it is hooked up to a thermostat so it doesn’t overheat. An 88-90 degree hotspot should be good. And I would just go straight to the tub. there is a chance it would work but it is less likely to and stretching out the hunger strike will not be good. After he is consistently eating, I would move him to the 5 gallon first to have a smaller jump in between the tub and 10 gallon

3 Likes

Noticed I was tagged and have only just had a chance to sit and read through this thread and great advice has been given about getting him to eat. I don’t like that the breeder shipped an animal that wasn’t eating for multiple months.

I’m going to go a bit against the already offered advice and say that perhaps your boy just wants to brumate himself. The weight loss is concerning, 8g is quite a bit for a younger male hog. If he’s otherwise healthy and active, I’d consider turning down your temps and just waiting it out (obviously while still watching for more weight loss).

My hogs are all auto-brumating because I use whole room heat. I’m in Minnesota (Canada neighbor, we know your kind of cold!) Overnight it can get down to 66F, day temp depends on whether or not I turn on a space heater, so low 70s. This will slow metabolism so they aren’t burning as many calories while not eating. My girls have been off food since the start of November and none of them have lost any significant weight. It’s something to try if you’re comfortable with it, and then in a few weeks, maybe a month or two, you can warm him back up slowly and see if that changes his ideas about eating.

3 Likes

Sterilite is the brand I use.

2 Likes

Yes the heat mat is sufficient heat because he burrows. Just regulate the temperature as @logar Logan suggested……

2 Likes

And I would use the tub in lieu of any glass enclosure right now. 6 Qt sterilite brand tub

2 Likes

6qt is too small for a 51g two year old male.

2 Likes

Hello all!

I got a smaller set up bin today with a warm hide, cool hide, water dish and cover. Also moved him to the corner of my bedroom as I think it’s the most quiet.
A week from today I will attempt to feed again!
Thanks for all your advise and guidance it is very much appreciated! I have some small fuzzies and I plan on drop feeding first, then try the smaller container in the enclosure.
Next winter to avoid all this weight loss and issue I am just going to brumate him👌

4 Likes

This is only temporary.

2 Likes

That looks great! I have my fingers crossed for you! Again, this small tub is only temporary until he starts to eat.

I have some opposition but I truly believe this will help. I think @ballornothing Don may agree……. If it doesn’t work then brumation maybe as had been suggested. I know I tried it with a hog of mine but it didn’t work out for me……

2 Likes