Feeding & breeding Female

As I approach my first adult breeding season I know the males are kept on standard feed, digest, rest rotation however, what about the females? Are they fed on schedule until they start fasting? and if so is fasting an indication of successful fertilization?

1 Like

from what i’ve read and understand. The female wil want to start pounding food until she feels like she can carry to term, Ive also heard that ovulation is the only guarantee that you will get eggs.
I am also a first timer

2 Likes

During breeding season, I feed everyone on Wednesday, pair on Saturday, separate on Monday night or Tuesday morning and feed again. Females and males. As far as males I have a male who eats the whole season, and my banana male for two years in a row goes off food from Jan to July. Both years exact months. He is more worried about girls.

The females I feed until they fast. If they start fasting I still offer for a few weeks cause some will skip a few meals and go back on.

1 Like

Thank you for the insight SBS I never even thought about my males choosing women over food lol

1 Like

Some males will and some don’t. He’s my main one that does. He also is the male that gets the job done every time lol

1 Like

Some people will feed their females twice a week, or stick to their normal once a week routine when breeding. When not breeding they will do every other week for females (depending on their size).

This is my first time with several locks (I just finished lock 6) and I haven’t changed my feeding behaviors for her. She’s also on ASF so they are a bit smaller than a small to medium rat. So I have been giving her an additional rat when she looks at me like she’s hungry. I go by what the snake tells me.

I have so far not encountered a male not eating during breeding. It could just be my approach to it, but the day they are unlocked and I take them out I offer the male an ASF. I’ve never had one refuse yet.

2 Likes

I continue to feed as normally I would. If the female is jumping out every time I will feed her more often. I only stop feeding if she refuses food. And just because she is locking up doesn’t guarantee you she’s going to give you eggs. So I don’t like to withhold food from a female who might not even lay. Ovulation is the only sign that she will lay for sure. Males will go off feed regularly during breeding. This can be very hard on young males so be careful. Just because you stop breeding him doesn’t mean he will jump back on food. I have adopted a policy of waiting until the males second winter before I breed them. I try to get one lock per month on the females. To me overbreeding is not necessary and hard on males.

4 Likes