Feeding Options

I’m thinking about switching my 2 kingsnakes over to rat pups instead of large mice? Opinions on this?

4 Likes

Might want to add an extra day or two between feedings if they start plumping up too much, otherwise there’s not much nutritional difference between the two so shouldn’t be an issue.

4 Likes

Appreciate that.

3 Likes

I use the page RodentPro has on nutrient composition of whole prey. Works well enough to approximate what food items are closest in nutritional value.

3 Likes

Ok cool, I’ll read up on that one!

3 Likes

Have you thought about rat fuzzies though? They are one step down from the pups but also one step up from large mice. That way you might not have to worry about changing the feeding schedule?

But sometimes rat fuzzies are hard to come by…… ? :thinking:

3 Likes

I was looking at a frozen feeder website and comparing the lenght and weight of their large mice versus their fuzzy and/or pup rats. With this site, the large mice were about the same size as the pups. But that does make good sense.

3 Likes

Well you know as well as I do that frozen rodents of the same stage of growth are going to vary in weight anyway. So actually it probably won’t make that much of a difference anyway….

Btw how is the temperament of your rat snakes? :blush::thinking:

3 Likes

Dont know. I dont have one. We have 2 grey banded kingsnakes and a corn snake.

:grin:

3 Likes

Oops! I misread and thought you said rat snakes! Pardon my senior moment! Lol! :joy::rofl::face_with_open_eyes_and_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes

Well… technically a rat snake! :laughing:

5 Likes

Yay! I knew rat snake was in the mix somewhere!!! Lol! :joy::rofl::joy::sunglasses:

3 Likes

Yall so craaaazy!

3 Likes

Did I hear someone say rat snake? :rofl:

6 Likes

I used to have one of those…

5 Likes

Hey @lumpy Riley! That guy:girl is fabulous! It looks pretty laid back as well! :blush:

4 Likes

What kind of snake is that David?

3 Likes

That was our corn snake Houdini.

3 Likes