Feeding Problems- Advice Needed

Okay I get you, I understand. Just an opinion.

You’re right about having coverage in an enclosure for sure, this is just a different and very specific situation. Minimal baby tubs serve an important purpose when we are talking about just getting an animal started.
Now if this animal had fed on its own previously and stopped after being moved to a new enclosure then we are possibly having a different discussion.

Also 10-15 minutes is not enough time for a mouse to make a meal of a bp.

1 Like

You are comparing two things that cannot be compared, you are talking about a well started animal with no feeding issue and here it’s about troubleshooting an animal that was not well started and is still not eating on it’s on or consitantly … and time is running out as not feeding becomes a viscious circle and an hatchling cannot go on without food like an animal with good size

There are proven methods that work to troubleshoot those type of issues a 45 gallons tank with coverage is just not one of them sorry, right now it’s about facts not opinion on how an animal should be kept or what enclosure people prefer. Again it falls in the emergency type situation.

2 Likes

Again. Understand it was obviously misguided advice trying to help them come up with a solution without having to buy a whole new setup. I apologize.

1 Like

Don’t apologize. I’m glad you added to the conversation and got more ideas and depth into the discussion. Don’t take the counter-points personally.

1 Like

So I had a pastel enchi that was the size of a hatchling but literally was 4 months old that I got from a breeder for $40. She had tried with little success at assisting. I had trouble at first too. But as she got used to assisting it’s like she learned how to eat. She eventually would just bite down when I got the head in her mouth then one day on a whim I got her to strike. Ever since she’s been eating like a champ and it’s been a year. She’s a slow grower but a great eater. Sometime just give them their time if they’re eating and seem healthy otherwise as this was my concern too. Talking to Bob Vu he said the same thing, they’ll get it just work with them and give them time hope this helps! This is pretzel now ~1 yr old

3 Likes

One of mine did that as well. I have my first clutch that just now since August started eating on its own 2/3 babies. I was so happy when one ate on its own and I didn’t have to force feed :woman_facepalming:t2:

1 Like

Solid advice from Stewart_Reptiles.

I personally use tubs and I try to keep things as simple as possible. I do not provide a hide since i use rack systems, however, I have had great success getting stubborn babies to start eating frozen/thawed by adding a hide. I personally use the small hides from Reptile Basics. Very smooth and dark. So effective and insanely easy to clean. Anything will work, like clay pots, I just like the extra touch of cleanliness.

If assist feeding is proving effective, you’re steadily on your way to feeding progress. Just sounds like the animal may be overly sensitive to one or two factors in your offerings. I say glass tank and thermal gradient are two very common reasons ball pythons can be hesitant to strike at prey offered.

1 Like

I tried a very simple adjustment today that worked super well. I’ve really had some on again off again feeders this winter…one girl hasn’t even gained a bit of weight since the beginning of December which has been frustrating for sure. I usually thaw my rats out on top of my rack here. My girl in the top tub has no surprise been my best eater this winter, more than once launching herself out of her tub as soon as I open it and almost tagging me a couple times :joy::rofl: today I did nothing different except thaw them out on this little coffee table closer to the other tubs. Went 5 for 5 with 5 instant takes. I will continue to use this adjustment and hopefully it keeps working! Glad we have folks with the experience to recommend more involved methods but if simple works then I’m happy to go with it!

1 Like

Orrrrr maybe it’s the fact that my neighbors grilled on their patio today and the scent from the barbecue wafted into my apartment… :thinking::wink:
Definitely made me hungry! :joy::rofl:

2 Likes

Well. Update. Shes at 64g and still will not eat. Has no feed or prey response what so ever. So my husband contacted the breeder directly. He again went in with being a smart a$$. Blaming our husbandry, that we were being careless with our efforts etc… I admit my husband got kinda ugly with him, not vulgar but shut him down on the condescending “I am better than you” attitude he had. He also tried to compare that no other breeder would even consider taking a snake back after 30 days much less 90 days. I almost sent him the link to this thread…
The breeder eventually stated that they would rather not do a refund. Offered to keep her for us to get her eating. At this point the hubs and I are convinced there is something wrong with this snake. Bad genetics or something. Then they offered to exchange her with some cash for one of her clutch mates who eats just perfectly on his own. He still weighs less than I think he should at his age (94g) but he says he hits off the tongs. I told hubs it was his decision. We met last night and swapped. I cried. I did and I kinda hope it made the dude feel bad. He kept saying he was sorry it wasn’t a pastel enchi female and that I could pick one up cheap somewhere and I looked at him and told him “It’s not the morph or the gender that matters to me, it isn’t the same snake. I get emotionally attached to them.” He turned red and changed the subject.

So she’s back with her breeder. I half hope she eats and blossoms. I half hope she doesn’t just to prove to this prick that it is not our methods as we have tried so many things. We now have a male banana enchi whom we will probably end up trading or selling as he doesn’t fit into our projects.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. I greatly appreciate the shared knowledge. When we have another troublesome eater it will all come in handy(I know its probably inevitable we will come across one). Thankfully all of our other balls eat and his like freight trains.

I really hate the fact that I feel like I gave up on her, but after so much effort and all we tried I felt like there was not much more we could do. She never once showed any interest in the prey. No food response what so ever.

@betty_lou45
I understand the pain and self-recrimination but I think you did what was best for you, the snake, and the ‘breeder’ (term very loosely applied). Getting a reluctant feeder going is one of the hardest parts of breeding snakes and can be a long, frustrating, and painful process. I just had one of my baby boas I produced last year finally quit trying after months and months of careful and dedicated care and even after 20+ years of breeding experience it still tears me up inside.
A real breeder is concerned for the animal and the customer experience. He lied about how well your baby was eating and then blamed you instead of helping. If people keep buying sick and failing animals from ignorant retailers (i.e. BigBoxStores) and profiteer ‘breeders’ without any negative impact on the source, they continue to profit and have no economic reason to change. If there isn’t any way to correct/update your MM review then I’d certainly second that as a new/updated feature @stewart_reptiles @eaglereptiles
Please keep us posted on how your new baby is doing :hugs:

3 Likes

So far there isn’t a way to change your review that I know of, however you get to leave 2 separate reviews, one directly after purchase and the other I believe a fortnight later. After that I think all chance of rating and review are gone.

I can see there being risks depending how long you can edit your review. Think to Buyer complaint of animal dying a month after receiving shipment
A lot of people won’t own up to their own mistakes (I’m not in any way relating that to this thread), especially if it was the cause of death to their pet. Having someone to blame makes dealing with loss a whole lot easier.
Sellers ratings will take the brunt of a lot buyers mistakes.

Personally, if this one is all around healthy and eats, I wouldn’t strike the breeder off completely… Just bump them down my list.

3 Likes

@alpinereptiles & @eaglereptiles, I have been in touch with morph market support on this issue and because I do not have a text or a written proof of them admitting to her only being assist fed and not hitting on her own I cannot change it. That was all verbal over a phone call. Support did document my complaint and files I sent over to them so if another situation like this arises with the same seller they will know it is an on going issue.
We did just pick up a package deal of snakes (she was not a particularly good keeper so it was more of a rescue effort) from another local enthusiast and she had also heard of them doing bad business. It made me feel just a little better that it at least seems to be known locally that they aren’t reputable.

4 Likes

Another update, breeder says he got her to eat and after ONLY a month of having her sold her again. :neutral_face: To a person that apparently has never owned a snake before.

1 Like

I’d never buy from that breeder again. Don’t seem the most responsible. But who knows maybe the snake will be fine now. I wouldn’t blame yourself.

3 Likes