Female House Snake Size

I can’t seem to get a clear answer as to how large female cape house snakes get. I’ve heard they get around 4 ft long, but that tells me nothing about how thick bodied they are or about their general body structure. So would anyone who owns an adult female brown house snake mind taking a picture of her next to something for reference? Thanks!

4 Likes

As far as I know from my research and handling one female adult (brown) Black house snake, most house snakes should generally appear long-ish and comparatively lean in body. Their body build reminds me of some colubrids but also of a miniature sort of SD Retic. I wish I could tell you how long Sparrow, the snake I got to handle, is, but she isn’t done growing!

3 Likes

I’ll post some photos tonight or tomorrow of one next to an adult cornsnake so you can get a reference. Figure 30 inches and a bit bigger around than a nickel.

6 Likes

Here’s a an idea for you. The female house snake in this photo came to me obese and she’s still well overweight.

4 Likes

If I could ask another question as well? Does anyone know the difference between the “Cape” house snake and the regular house snake? I have a male “Cape” house snake.

Thank you!

1 Like

Cape house snakes are a specific species of house snake that come from South Africa. They are known as Boaedon capensis. The species we tend to just call African house snake is Boaedon fuliginosus.

3 Likes

Ah this I do know! There are several types of House Snake! The Black one is technically also the Brown one, Boaedon fuliginosus. The other types… Lemme grab the Book!

This is info from “The Captive Care of House Snakes” by Erik Paterson, which is thus far the best and indeed one of the only books on the subject of their captive care that I’ve been able to find.

You might see these snakes listed as “Lamprophis” but I think the most current nomenclature is “Boaedon” now. So!

Besides the Black or Brown, Boaedon fuliginosus,

There is Boaedon capensis, the Cape house snake, usually dark brown on top with other color variants from black to oliveto chocolate brown to maroonish… I think they may be from the Southern, Cape portion of Africa? Or named for that area?

Boaedon maculatus, the Dotted House Snake, which do look like they usually have more pattern,

Boaedon lineatus the Striped House Snake, which is confusing a bit because of course some of the other kinds have longitudinal stripes too but the Striped usually has bold long lines down the sides like a racecar. They also seem to have a blunter head.

Boaedon mentalis is the Namibian house snake, affectionately known as Bug Eyes house snakes by some. They do have giant eyes and it is normal for them. Not a defect. House Snakes are born kinda bug eyed already… and these guys definitely take the cake.

As far as I know at the moment, their ranges overlap broadly but they are sort of spread in various areas.

5 Likes

Wow! Where have you been all this time? Lol! I was not aware of all these different types, sizes, shapes and colors!

I think house snakes are overlooked and under appreciated and IMO should replace the musking baby milk snake on the top 10 beginner snake list! Lol!

Thank you for the info! :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thank you for the info! :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Sorry to bring up a old post but just a question on the subject. Does anyone here have any adult Boaedon fuliginosis(Africa House snake) or any house snake would do i Would like too see some of the house snake you guys and girls all keep of the pond.
P.s I’m from South Africa

1 Like

I don’t have fuliginosis, but I do have capes! (Boaedon capensis). Here are two of mine! They’re about two and a half, so still growing but definitely subadult.

1st pic is the female, 2nd pic is the male.

5 Likes

Those are both beautiful :heart_eyes: there Is a nice variety of Capeinis and fuliginosis available in south Africa but unfortunately here only certain regions can keep them

3 Likes

Damn, I completely forgot about this thread, but now I kinda want a house snake. Somebody please stop me :grimacing::joy:

2 Likes

Go ahead get one you have my permission :rofl::joy::rofl:. Try get yourself a Tanzania Striped house snake my personal favorite. :grin:

3 Likes

I’m going to tell you the opposite, lol. House snakes are incredible animals. I was pretty ambivalent about them until I got mine, and I’m obsessed. People have described them as “a python in a colubrid body” and “a mini retic” and both are accurate. They have faster metabolisms and move faster like colubrids, but they behave during handling and regular observation more like pythons. I adore mine and as soon as I have room to get more, I will.

3 Likes

Enable enable enable… :grin:
yeah mine stole my heart entirely and even with the difficulties he’s given me I wouldn’t trade him.

3 Likes

I started with one in May and now have 5 :rofl::joy: will post some pics over the weekend. I’m based in JHB (Johannesburg) so can only keep certain species

3 Likes