Fertile egg and egg cleaning

Hello!

So, I have some questions regarding leopard gecko eggs being fertile and how to clean them up after laid…

I have watched many videos on how to see if leopard gecko eggs are fertile. But… What if the embryo is not an exact circle? Is that normal? Most pictures I have seen are like bullseye looking embryos.

After they are laid and have eco earth on them, do I wipe it off? Do I gently wash it off?

Thanks!

I am not the best breeder, so advice from others is probably best. This is what I do:

I check the box daily for eggs. When I have one, I gently wipe away any substrate, but I don not ‘clean’ the egg per se. When candling, I take a sharpie and put a small mark just above the embryo/center of the veins. That way, if it gets knocked over somehow, I will be able to but it back in the right orientation and prevent the fetus from suffocating. This is especially helpful later in incubation, where you can’t candle because the fetus will obscure the light. Reptile eggs should not be turned.

I’m not an expert, but I do know that reptile eggs that are kinda weird-looking can still produce awesome, healthy hatchlings. I have an egg incubating right now that is more circle-shaped than the usual more oblong eggs leos lay.

1 Like

Thank you!:blush:

1 Like

Just my opinion but the best thing you can do for your eggs once they are in the incubator is leave them alone. Even before getting them in there, handling or cleaning them should be kept to a minimum. I know it is tempting to candle them and to look in on them every day but resist the urge. check temp and humidity. preferably remotely. but let them be. the more you interfere, the more chance you will do something that affects them.

Absouletly! Thank you!

The only way I’ve found to get clean eggs is to provide Pangea Hatch in the lay spot!

1 Like