Few questions about retics

I am decided it was time for me to get into retics, so while I save up money for a female purple tiger and custom built enclosure my research starts now.

How did the reticulated python get it’s common name?

How often should I interact with a new baby to work on their attitude and for how many minutes at a time?

What food does a baby retic start out on, and how long should they stay on that size food item?

What is the lowest and the highest I should pay for a female purple tiger that’s not considered being ripped off?

Can I use ambiet heat?

Can I house a baby in its forever home immediately?

On average when properly fed, how many times a year should I expect a shed?

Can you feed a retic every other week without it being considered underfeeding or is it best to feed weekly?

If I feel my retic is too fat, should I space out feedings to every other week/once a month or just smaller meals?

When retics bite is it a grab and release or a hold for awhile?

Will retics take frozen thawed food right away or does it depend on what was previously fed?

How long does tap training take to become habit for the snake?

Any other info is greatly appreciated thanks in advance!!!

I’m not a retic person, but I have held and been around them just a little. Some of the questions scare me a little, how much snake experience do you have? I feel like with my experience with ball pythons could answer or be transferred to work with retics.

I personally believe that retics only need to be owned by people with a few years of experience and/or have at least one hobbyist who has experience with them as a mentor. They are big snakes who require a lot of space, respect, and knowledge to safely keep.

I’m not trying to attack you or sound mean at all! The way I read your questions sounds like you don’t have much experience with smaller snakes and pythons.

5 Likes

instead of saving money for that snake you should save money for books. obtain all the knowledge you can these are a very prehistoric giant snake species not to be taken lightly. a lot of the questions you’re asking are just snake questions in general. do all the research you can on the species For sure. And It would probably be a good idea to try to successfully keep other species first if you haven’t. there are outliers and stories of people who got Burms and retics as their fists snake but I doubt any of them would recommend that. remember that in just a few years you’ll have an animal that is genuinely dangerous most of the most experienced keepers and breeders will not handle alone freak accidents and even deaths happen rarely but Still far more often then they should because of uneducated people feeling the need to own them before they are ready and equipped with the knowledge space food and help to take care of these things so go in well read and don’t put a stain on the hobby is the number 1 rule

6 Likes
  1. Because of it’s distinctive reticulated “web like pattern”
  2. One handling session a day is adequate, you’ll want to pet their heads and occasionally put them in slightly uncomfortable positions to desensitize them.
  3. Rats/Mice, and depends on the snake, they all grow at different rates. SD’s may stay on rats their entire lives.
  4. Around 200-500
  5. Yes
  6. In most cases, yes, be sure to provide lots of accessories, not just a big empty space.
  7. Not sure, younger retics shed more frequently.
  8. Yes, they can be fed bi-weekly once fully established.
  9. Smaller meals
  10. Could be either, just don’t get bit.
  11. Most will take it regardless of what previous owner fed them, they’re eating machines, when that cage door opens they will bite & wrap first, ask questions last.
  12. Not long

Due to the nature of your questions, I think it would be best if you started of with a Super Dwarf, they will take years to reach a respectable size, giving you ample time to figure everything out.
My baby is over a year old and just under 350grams.

2 Likes

@partysnake13 pretty much gives you good answers for what you asked.

But if this is the first retic you will own, do more research. And I would advise to not get a female mainland right out of the gate. I would go with a male. He will grow much slower, and you can grow your confidence with him. Also if you feed him properly, he won’t get huge fast, he will take many years to even reach 8ft. I had a mainland male that was 3yrs old and 5ft, I fed him well but didn’t over feed. Plus you get a male and you will save yourself money, as they go for less.

That being said, make sure this is what you want. They demand very diligent care, not as in temps or husbandry necessarily, but in taming and cage cleanup. If you don’t want to clean a cage possibly everyday don’t get a retic. And you’ll want to make sure you handle them everyday for at least 20 mins, an hour is better. You don’t want a large snake to control you during handling, and you’ll definitely need to know how to control them because they don’t stand still.
Again just do a lot of research, and make sure this is the right fit for you. It’s in my opinion one of the best snakes to keep but you need to do your homework before you’d ever consider getting a retic. They are a lot of work.

3 Likes

One thing I forgot to add on enclosure. You don’t need a custom built one yet. Start them out in a small tub, like a 15qt. They like small spaces and you’ll need to move them up on enclosure size as they grow. If you put a small snake, even a mainland in a huge enclosure, that can make them more defensive. I also don’t use hides for my retics, I’ve found if you use hides they are a little more shy and hesitant during handling. That’s a trick I learned from a very experienced breeder of mainland retics.

3 Likes

How often should I interact with a new baby to work on their attitude and for how many minutes at a time?

• when you first get your baby, you should keep it in no larger than a 32 qt tub. Leave it alone the first week. Once it’s eaten and has gone through the digestion period, you can begin handling. Don’t put it back if it bites you.

What food does a baby retic start out on, and how long should they stay on that size food item?
-you should ask the breeder. Babies come in different sizes/ages

What is the lowest and the highest I should pay for a female purple tiger that’s not consideredn being ripped off?
You can compare prices on mm. Look at the ratings. Select a breeder who’s eager to answerj your questions.

Can I use ambiet heat?
-“ ambient?” No, unless you live somewhere warm.

Can I house a baby in its forever home immediately?

• no

On average when properly fed, how many times a year should I expect a shed?
-depends on age of the baby and growth rate

Can you feed a retic every other week without it being considered underfeeding or is it best to feed weekly?

• ask the breeder. Usually babies eat weekly.

If I feel my retic is too fat, should I space out feedings to every other week/once a month or just smaller meals?

• join a Facebook group for ongoing advice. If you feed according to age or size, it’ should be fine.

When retics bite is it a grab and release or a hold for awhile?
-depends whether it’s a defensive or food response bite. Try to avoid both.

Will retics take frozen thawed food right away or does it depend on what was previously fed?
-again, ask breeder

How long does tap training take to become habit for the snake?
-it’s more for when they get larger. It should be practiced on each encounter.

I advise you select a breeder, please watch YouTube videos and read on care, find your local exotic vet, buy a hook, and communicate with your reptile community. Good luck!