Field/backyard Amphibian Adventures

Took my dog out for one last pee before bed and looked over and saw a little pair of eyes staring at me. Look at this chubby little baby! So cute!

8 Likes

That roly-poly little fellow is just adorable! Does anyone know the species?

:heart: :frog:

5 Likes

Just from comparing images on Google, I think it might be a Couch’s spadefoot toad.

4 Likes

Seeing all these cute frogs and toads is really adding fuel to the fire to get back into amphibians. My house is literally becoming a zoo. Lets be honest here id rather surround myself with abimals than most people. Not saying every person is bad or not trustworthy, but experience has shown me a side of humans i wish i never knew. As the saying goes “ignorance is bliss” and for some ( thank our creator ) they were fortunate enough to have not experienced what i have.

I do want to get back into amphibians, lizards, a few snake breeds, small animals like rats or even a bird.

Maybe some people would think im crazy or a hoarder, but im not i just love animals so much just as everyone here. I think hoarders are detrimental but possibly well meaning in the beginning. I don’t have more animals than i can care for financially or otherwise. I may do a bioactive frog, salamander/newt enclosure next year. Id like to get a large tall wide for the enclosure.

2 Likes

I know what you mean! It’s been almost 20 years since I had an amphibian (I’m in my 40s at the moment), and I miss them so much! I’m especially fond of Ambystoma (mole salamanders), but they are illegal to keep where I currently live (except axolotls).

4 Likes

More toads tonight! Found these two monsters, highly toxic Colorado River toads in my yard tonight. I love them, but you do have to be extremely careful about not letting your dog find one.

“Unhand me!”

8 Likes

Wow, Olivia, you seem to have to moved to a kind of amphibian wonderland! I’ll bet your family is loving it. :heart:

2 Likes

Mostly just me, I think!

3 Likes

Ah well, we take our joys where we find them. And we appreciate your sharing yours here!

3 Likes

Frog spam!

It looked like we were going to get another storm tonight, but it didn’t end up reaching us. However, this little guy was out tonight anyway. I’m really trying to learn my local frog and toad species, so after rinsing this dusty guy off and giving him a drink, I flipped him over to look at his hind legs. Yup, little spur thingies! So this is a couch’s spadefoot. He was very patient with me! :grin:

7 Likes

That little dude is adorable! Toads are so incredibly expressive, definitely an underrated group. They’re like the tortoises of the amphibian world, hehe.

spadefoot toad GIF by Head Like an Orange

8 Likes

I found another toad too! I was so excited, it was right outside my front door at night! Nothing quite like a surprise toad! :wink:

6 Likes

What a chubby guy! He’s so cute!

4 Likes

I always enjoy frogs and toads. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

big bang a teoria GIF

My favorite toad of all

3 Likes

homer simpson toad GIF

2 Likes

Toad season is upon us! (Feels like it’s a bit early? We haven’t really had any summer rains yet.)

Cute little Couch’s spadefoot.

8 Likes

I have yet to run into any amphibians yet this year, though I did have a reptile (skink) break into my house and try to steal my tv. Well, I admit I don’t know if that was its goal for sure, but it seems like the most logical conclusion. :upside_down_face:

7 Likes

This guy was waiting for me at my office door last week! (I didn’t let him in…)

7 Likes

What a little chunk! So cute!

3 Likes