Field/backyard Amphibian Adventures

Two for the price of one tonight! I believe these are Sonoran desert toads.

6 Likes

Enjoy your nightly dose of toad:

5 Likes

Two more toads (although they’re actually frogs) tonight! These ones are Couch’s spadefoots (spadefeet?). I think they’re so cute.

5 Likes

I love spadefeet :joy:. Their face is so beautiful :upside_down_face:.

4 Likes

Enjoy your nightly toad (Sonoran desert toad). Managed to catch, photograph, and release all before he peed on me!

5 Likes

Adorable. You managed all that? You got toad skillz!

3 Likes

Three toads tonight! Two Couch’s spadefoots and Sonoran Desert. The spotiness of the spadefoot toads is my favorite thing. They’re so cute.

4 Likes

They are darling! I am living vicariously through you, I have yet to spot any toads this year.

:frog: :mag: :eyes:

5 Likes

They’re cuties! I’ve seen a few toads, though I haven’t seen the one who liked to hang out in our carport the past few years. Hope it’s still around somewhere.

5 Likes

Two chunky fellas tonight, Sonoran desert toads. They were pretty feisty too! Did not want to hang out for a quick pic! We watered the grass much later in the day than we normally do, so these guys were quite moist - maybe that’s why they were so squirmy?

5 Likes

Four toads tonight - two of each species, out eating crickets. The Couch’s spadefoot toads have such cute black eyes. By the time I photograph them, their pupils have usually constricted, but I decided to take a quick pic of this one before the eyes could change.

And here’s a good size Sonoran desert toad.

5 Likes

They are so cute :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

4 Likes

Found a couple of large Sonoran desert toads tonight. One just sitting in front of my door, practically begging for me to catch it!

In case you didn’t know, these guys can get absolutely massive. I haven’t seen any tremendous ones at my new house yet, but here’s one I caught a few years ago. Terrible lighting, but you can see the scale and chubbiness! I’ll have to dig around and see if I can find the picture I took of one sitting inside a 6 qt bin and literally filling the bin.

5 Likes

They’re so humongous!! I’ve never seen a toad so large in the wild. I’ve seen some purty big bullfrogs, but nothing even close to that size toad-wise.

2 Likes

Found this wet buddy this morning. I’ve never seen one so clean before!

5 Likes

Great picture, love the eyes and the skin texture. And the webbed toes, too!

2 Likes

I found an eastern newt in the red eft phase in my basement this morning! Merry Christmas to me : )

I didn’t think to snag a picture but it was one of the smallest red efts I’d ever seen. I put it back outside since it’s above freezing today and I’d be worried about it drying out in the basement.

4 Likes

3 Likes