Field herping with drones

So my wife got me a dji mavic pro platinum for Christmas and I’m really anxious to get out there and try it. I’m curious if anyone here has attempted to use drones for spotting herps in hard to reach places. If anyone has please let me know what your experiences have been.

3 Likes

I have 0 experience but I can tell you 100% I would watch any and every clip you made searching for herps with it.
I found someone a while back on YouTube (and lost them again since) that would go to beaches and search little rock pools when the tide was out and make loads of little aquariums from their findings.
You would be surprised at the crazy amount of animals left behind by the ocean.

You yourself seem like a very information driven person, every one of your posts has a backstory and details so I could see you being good at hosting a herping channel/thread, if that is the direction you took this and you would definitely have at least one viewer here.

1 Like

Thanks. I have a YouTube channel as is, but I’m horrible about creating video content lol. I’d definitely like to do more and this might be the way I go about doing it.

2 Likes

The same username?

Yeah… I can’t figure out how to share my channel so here’s a link to an old video when i used to go by sin city dragons…

4 Likes

I could watch that enclosure all day :heart_eyes: them little guys have got it good in there. Ill subscribe now :+1:

2 Likes

Have you managed to get out searching for critters with it yet?

1 Like

my father once when he wanted to buy a drone he said “buy it so you can find snakes” I thought that it would be impossible

1 Like

Glad we have another drone enthusiast! I myself have 2 at the moment but have been flying them for years and have kept various models so nice pick on your wife’s part to get a DJI. Very good quality all the way. Really curious as well if you could use it for herping. Keep us updated!

1 Like

lol i convinced to not buy them becuz their expensive as hell (the model he wanted was like 3k-4k)

1 Like

I built one of mine. Many alternative options. You can get a nice quality drone with good flight time of 20 minutes or more for 300 to 500 starting out. The one I built is a race drone with a carbon fiber frame. Built the whole thing for about $1k but you could obviously also build one for much less that still flies great.

isn’t a very big passion of mine and I invest my money in rifles and reptiles and I think I couldn’t fly one in my area because I live like 20-30 km away from a big airport and 5 km away from an helicopter one

1 Like