First Ball Python! Questions etc

So I’m new here and I’m looking into getting my first ball python, I plan on putting it in a beech vivexotic vivarium with some soil and orchid bark substrate. Will the moisture warp the viv at all?

I’d also like to know if UVB/A is necessary, as the local breeder claims it isn’t but I feel it’s beneficial.

EDIT: so here’s the python in question, subadult male. What do you think?

1 Like

UV are not necessary they are nocturnal animals and even in the wild they do not get UV as they burrow in thermite mount during the day to only come out at night.

If the cage is properly manufactured it should not warp because of humidity.

2 Likes

I appreciate the help! I had to do a lot of searching and it came out pretty much 50/50. I’ve also noticed some breeders seem to make it a requirement before purchasing, is there any reason why?

Never heard of any breeder requiring UV for ball pythons than again this is where buying from a knowledgeable and reputable breeder comes in play.

2 Likes

Thanks for your help @stewart_reptiles!

2 Likes

Some people use uvb lights as they do no harm but are not necessary and also if you use a wooden viv make sure all the inside joins are sealed with a reptile safe sealant allow to dry and air before snake ,substrate ,decor ,equipment are installed etc. Welcome only got my first ball python a month ago now I’m looking to get my third ,highly addictive be warned :joy:

1 Like

I believe the viv I got was sealed, but I went ahead without checking… We’ll see how this goes soon I guess :sweat_smile: unfortunately I don’t have much space for more reptiles, got 4 geckos, a rainbow boa, used to have a corn snake too (all in a small 2 bed flat)