First clutch, and what?!?

First ever clutch of corn snakes, our main focus is ball pythons and we’re definitely more familiar with those genetics. We have a female snow corn that was given to us at 7 years old and laying infertile eggs every. We purchased what we were told was a snow tessera male to raise up for her.
He just got up to weight this year and when she stopped eating we paired them. Less than 3 weeks later we had 20 good eggs (looks like 3 went bad during incubation) and about 50 days later we had another clutch (9 good, 5 infertile).
First clutch is hatching today, day 65. One is almost solid white and we think we have extra genes.

Male

Female

Hatchlings

4 Likes

@caryl @noodlehaus

3 Likes

Was the female bred previously?

I’m no expert on corn genetics, but that time table doesn’t seem right. I would think it would be a much longer period of time than 3 weeks between pairing and laying eggs. I could be way off base, but that doesn’t add up.

4 Likes

Looks like both parents were het stripe. From that pic, I’m seeing snow, snow tessera, and snow tessera stripe. Feel free to post more pics once they’re all out and after they’ve shed for more accurate morph identification.

7 Likes

The female was a single pet only before this breeding. She was always alone and laying infertile eggs every year.

3 Likes

Thank you. I’ll post more pictures as they shed

4 Likes

So far I’m in agreement with @solarserpents, though we’ll definitely need post shed photos.

4 Likes

Congratulations on a beautiful, healthy bunch of babies! Yes to Snow, Snow Tessera, and Snow Stripe babies. Clearly your female is het Stripe. Your male is either het or homo Stripe. It’s hard to see the markings on your male, but it looks to me as if he’s potentially a Snow Tessera Stripe. Do you happen to have pics of him when he was younger?

Three weeks from mating to laying is unusual for corns, but not unheard of. I had one female who’d lay at a couple days past 3 weeks. It is also possible that a female may accept a mate, eggs are fertilized, then she accepts a mate again later. Dating the eggs from the later mating would give a shorter time frame than is biologically accurate for the fertilization date. The second clutch is a bit early, but again possible. 65 days to hatching is very normal.

Congrats again, @jchipowsky .

4 Likes

This is him younger

4 Likes

I’m not seeing any typical tessellation on his sides, not at all. He’s produced visual Stripes, so he’s at least het Stripe. His long, clean dorsal stripe is usually seen with Tessera Motley. Tessera Stripes often have vanishing/ vanished markings, all but gone. He could still be Tessera Stripe, but it’s also possible that he’s het Motley/het Stripe. If so, you will likely get a Motley baby from this pairing since Motley is dominant over Stripe.

Isn’t this exciting and fun?

3 Likes

Genetics are always fun! Our first ball python pairing also had a hidden gene😅 seems to be about par for our course over here.

3 Likes

Updated baby pictures

3 Likes

Very nice! Looks like you got some motleys as well, so I’d say dad is a het motley/het stripe (visually motley) snow tessera and mom is a snow het stripe. For your babies, I’m seeing snow, snow tessera, snow motley, snow stripe, snow motley tessera, and snow stripe tessera.

4 Likes

Very very pretty babies @jchipowsky! :+1:

3 Likes

They’re just lovely! I agree with @solarserpents, I see those same morphs. This pairing gave you solid info on the parents’ genetics. It’s super nice when that happens. Congratulations again on a beautiful clutch!

4 Likes