First clutch ball python. Need advice

First let me start by saying i had no intentions of starting to breed any snakes yet. But sonce i have a bad habit of always being the person to home or rescue anmials if i am able. I ended up this this situation. My nephew asked me to temporarily home his 2 ball pythons. A nice size female normal an a smaller male pastel. Of course with hom being homeless due to unfortunate circumstances i couldnt say no.
Well now a few months into this baby sitting. I went to feed birtha as i moved her hide i seen she had 5 or more eggs an still going. An of course now my panic cause i have nothing ready.
I went o. Line for DYIs to try an make a cheap an quick set up. Many nice ones online but main parts needed heating tape ect. Not easy to find around me. Not willing to let these babies suffer i broke down an bought an expensive but not very durable incubator Reptibator digital egg incubator by zoo med. It was tht or nothing. So set it all up.
Now to my issues. First haveing a hard time getting humidity above 70. Have eggs on light deffuser over perlite an water. An incubator has a place on bottom for some water. I sprayed the walls of incubator also.
Second possible problem is i need to know if the eggs look normal to everyone or am i doing something wrong. An yes i do have a lid on container inside incubator. Plz remember im new to this part an was rushed an very unprepared. Cause i wasnt told he mated them. So plz b nice
Processing: 1000004765.jpg…
Uploading: 1000004766.jpg…

Retry posting the pictures. Wait until it says UPLOAD before hitting the reply button.

There are people here who can help you……

2 Likes

There you go! I have experience with egg layers unfortunately! Live births are lots easier!

But someone will come along to help! Stay cool and don’t stress!!!:blush:

2 Likes

I know this probably isn’t the reply you’re looking for but honestly, you don’t need to incubate them, and in my opinion, you’d be better off not. You’re not letting them “suffer”, they’re not even actual snakes yet, just embryos. The BP market is incredibly oversaturated and all you’re going to get from this pairing is normals and single gene Pastels. Do you have the space and resources to keep all the offspring until they sell, even if it takes months or years?
I’ll tag in a few folks, just for further opinions: @armiyana @ballornothing @nswilkerson1

2 Likes

Yes i do have the space. Cause as i said i didnt plan on breeding YET. I planned on breeding my hognoses. In the future. Ive been slowly prepareing for this. Incubator is last on my list b4 i start breeding. Giveing me time to properly investigate an research wht is best for my spaceing an future needs.

Also i already purchased the incubator for this time so no point in wastein money alrdy spent.

But i do appreciate an respect you point in your comment

It’s sometimes a bit sad, but I agree with @noodlehaus
If you aren’t sure about things, it is early enough that you can just stop incubation. It’s not a cat that had a litter of kittens. You can get back to planning and being ready for yourself, not the sudden appearance of eggs.

That said…
How are you measuring humidity? Are you measuring in the tub with the eggs? You can put a bit of damp moss in with them and press and seal over the top of the tub before closing the lid on it again.
The eggs look really good in that photo so the odds for them so far do look good

For mom… Give her a warm bath in some soapy water. Give her a couple minutes to soak without soap in case she’s thirsty though. Before putting her back into her habitat, clean the bedding out and wipe it down, rinse her decor and such to remove the egg pheromones. That will get her back to her usual behavior and feeding schedule sooner

5 Likes

With what the incubator came with.

That number doesn’t matter cause it’s the humidity in the incubator as a whole I believe? I don’t use this model. Mine’s a custom and before that I used a cooler I modded.
Only the humidity in the egg tub is what matters. I’d get a reader just for the tub. I’ve been using govee personally cause I can check temp and humidity on my phone without bothering the eggs. But just a regular one is fine too.

Ok ty. This was the help an advice i needed. Ty all very much. I will get one this week. Due to holiday cant b as soon as Id like.
Again i do appreciate all of your opions an advice.

2 Likes