First hognose… general morph questions

Hiya! Been around here for a bit and had reptiles for yeaaaars but my husband and I went to our first reptile show about a week ago and after doing much research (on care) picked up our first hognose. He’s a little cutie. Doing well. Already got him settled and eating. But had some questions about morph ID. He was sold to us as a Arctic Conda het Axanthic and just going by the (what looks to my untrained eye) very wide variation of what an arctic conda looks like was wondering how does one generally identify it? Pics of our little Salty Boy as follows :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I’m no expert but it does’nt even look like a conda to me

4 Likes

That was my thought. Cause I see most of them have like larger circles on their backs. Although did some reading and apparently there’s a such thing as a low expression allegedly? That’s why I figured I’d throw the question out and ask. Either way I’m still happy I picked him up. Got a decent deal and he seems pretty laid back (for a drama noodle)
Happy healthy and eating/pooping. So I suppose that’s the important part.

1 Like

Unfortunately, I’m not really seeing arctic or conda in there. Low expression arctics and condas are a thing. But arctic usually presents itself with a more greyish color saturation and higher contrast on the spots and markings. Arctic is definitely one of those genes that can be a pain to identify. Here’s a pic of my arctic girl for reference:

5 Likes

yep, normals lots of dots, condas bigger dots & supercondas no dots. as long as you’re happy and hoggie is healthy…all good

1 Like

Lovely example. I’m hoping for toxics for my next project

1 Like

She’s awesome. And thanks guys appreciate it. Can’t wait to pick up a couple more down the road. They’re all pretty from what I’ve seen and digging his personality so far.

1 Like

Just looks like a normal to me. Definitely wouldn’t buy from that breeder ever again. :grimacing:

3 Likes

Definitely noted. Lol. Sometimes a “really good deal” is a deal for a reason. Hahahah. Lesson learned to say the least. Just glad he’s healthy though. Even if we decided to breed down the line that would be something waaaaaaay down the line. Also gonna stick with reputable people (or at least ones who know what they are doing) if I wanna give them benefit of the doubt. :joy:

1 Like