First pet reptile idea

Man I cant wait to get my 1st ever reptile. And to think you all have stories that got you hooked and my love of biology and desire to try a new category of animal companion is all I have…Im lame. But I still want an Uromastyx for my 1st reptile. Sometimes it bounces back to a corn snake but meh uro still has the lead thanks to its diet.

3 Likes

Ornate Uromastic has some wild colors, nice big lizards, I think they make a great first herp. Of course corn snakes are the classic easy pet for a first timer too. either way I would bet that your first won’t be your last!

3 Likes

Well thats the thing. Ppl I live with might not be happy with f/t rodents in the house and stuff. Uros at least with their primarily veggie diet would be perferable for me. I was thinkin U. Geyri but Idk where in the house to put it because of my dog. Cant keep it (or any herp or cold-blooded creature for that matter) in my room since I like to keep my room as cold as possible (I hate warm and hot places) and the dog accesses everywhere else pretty much.

I’m just thinking out loud but you could do a crested gecko. They eat a fruit formula and insects and dont need a extremely hot basking area since they are nocturnal.

1 Like

I know but Im not into geckos pythons or boas when it comes to herps. I find I only seem to be interested in colubrids, agamids and iguanids (not counting tortoises or venomous stuff). Ive done my research and Uromastyx just seem to call to me…well so do green iguanas but I’d rather not get on the bad side of one of those. Id go corn snake but again I’d probably get crapped on for having rodents in the house (even f/t ones).

1 Like

I highly recommend a Uromaystx. They are awesome herps with big personality I’ve found. Only down side is the 120-140 degree basking area, but that’s because I enjoy cold temps.
For an Iguana, if you find a baby with a good disposition that will often transfer to adulthood. I’ve found that the baby’s that accept handling right away or the less defensive and less flighty ones will be nice tempered adults. But sometimes when they mature they can change their personality quickly. And depending where you live you may need to register owning one.

2 Likes

Clint’s reptiles has a good video on how green and rhino iguanas are. The females make the best pets, but still something you have to be careful with, definitely not for a beginner by any means. The best pet iguana by far is the desert iguana though. They are hard to find captive bred/born but they are the hardiest iguana that is docile and small. Even wild ones don’t bite or scratch. Clint is so afraid of green iguanas. :joy:

2 Likes

LOL I’m afraid of green iguanas too. I think they are beautiful, especially the blue phased ones, and those neon yellow ones, but I’m happy just looking at them.

2 Likes

I would agree they don’t necessarily fit the bill for a beginner keeper as @beast-blade-wolf_987 would be. But overall their care is pretty straight forward but I think their size is what makes them more for experienced handlers.
I’ve ran into more “tame” green iguanas than poor tempered ones. But that’s definitely not the norm lol. And I agree, females are always better than males for that species, regarding accepting handling and mood swings which males really exhibit after maturity.

2 Likes

Don’t get me wrong, I love them too but I had a male and he would whip as a baby and it was just amusing at the time but as he got bigger it just hurt haha. I just like to admire them from a distance now lol

1 Like

I absolutely love cold temps and have always been a late autumn/winter person. Personally temps from the mid 80s and up make me unhappy but if I get any kind of herp or invert Ill have to just adapt for their sake. And ya the only thing I dislike about Uros is their temp requirements. Other than that Im thinking of maybe a U geyri or ornata (or a pair of them) to start. Just gotta find the right place to house them as Angel my dog (look in the non reptile pets thread to see her) has a strong hunting instinct and the scent of a new animal in the house will probably drive her nuts. Im set on a nice Uro or two. Just need to find a nice baby I can raise up and get the most out of the lifespan.

1 Like

I can relate to that for sure. Growing up in MN I love my autumn and winter months. Can’t stand summer, I had heat stroke on the St. Croix river about 8 years ago and ever since that hot temps really mess me up.
I think that’s a awesome place to start, you’ll find Uros really amazing little lizards. And I know you’ve stated you like their diet of all veggies so it’s a perfect fit.
Ornate Uros are so beautiful, a little harder to find but worth the wait.
As for your dog, that’s a tough one. I introduce all my reptiles to my pets when they are young. And for dogs with hunting instincts( I’m a big pheasant hunter) I try and sent a hand towel with my reptile and then I put it where my dog sleeps. I’ve found that sometimes this can make them more aware of the new reptiles smell and allow them to be next to each other without any issues. Of course you still need to watch them together and read their behavior, but thought I’d share that little tip.
Angel is gorgeous by the way, I’ve always wanted a husky and she is just adorable!

1 Like

Thank you!! Angel is elderly now but still loves to get into mischief and go hunt when she can. She loves waiting for the coons nesting on/in the roof to come down at night/early morning and has had several incidents. One of the biggest reasons why I was thinking of trying out herps is because most of my favorite mammal species save for dogs and cats arent companion material (Favorite mammal order is Carnivora). And all Ive ever had for the most part has been dogs. Dont think I want another one right away for awhile after Angel (shes one of a kind that I feel most dogs wouldnt be able to live up to as some of the stories I have about her I feel wouldnt happen with other pooches) Been also thinking about birds but again the ones I like to try my hand with either have too long a lifespan (ie blue and gold macaw) or just arent really something you usually find as a companion (crows ravens etc). I hope to get an Uromastyx geyri or 2 to start out maybe next year sometime. Their so cute and personable as herps go.

1 Like

Yeah Huskies have a crazy prey drive. I don’t blame you for not wanting another dog after her. Takes time to get over them for sure when they go.
I would definitely get a bird too if I could, but my fiancée is not a fan so I’m lucky to get to have my snakes.
As far as companion animals go, Uros would definitely work but they do like their alone time. Some days they will be totally up to hang out the others they will run a hide, but next to Red Ackies they are my favorite kind of lizard, and a great first choice.
I do highly recommend a snake tho. If you go with one of the smarter species they can seriously fit that companion bill. I’m not suggesting retics by any means, but my retics can pick up on my emotions at times. They are crazy smart and can tell when you’re anxious, confident etc.
Whatever you go with I can tell you’re passionate about it and very willing to learn from your posts, you’ll succeed no doubt in my mind providing an awesome home for any herp you choose.

1 Like

You don’t have to worry about the temp for yourself. If you take care your enclosure is the type that keeps warmth in, like wood then you don’t have keep your room very warm. They make reptile enclosures here in Holland from a type of wood called betonplex. Tried to check for the English name and I believe it must be concrete plywood but don’t know really if it is the same. Even with high humidity it can last for many years. And then you have to take care you have a stronger heatlamp. And maybe an extra lighter one for the colder. The only time you really have to warm your room is when you want to take them out because it will not be healthy for the animal to suddenly drop 20 degrees because you took it out. But when it is inside the enclosure and the temp is oke there, you can keep your as you like. The only thing that will suffer is the one paying the electricity bill if the difference is really a lot.

About the dogs and not getting a new one I really feel the same. Our dogs are 13 and 11 years and I don’t think I will go for another once they are gone. Wich dog can meet their standard? My son is almost twelve years old so his world is getting bigger.now too. Just hope they still live for several years longer and after that I just keep to my reptiles…at least we have enough to keep me busy in my spare time

1 Like

Here any snake greater than 10ft (3m) full grown isnt allowed (2m for lizards) and nothing venomous even if its harmless to humans (which is why I dont have a Caribena versicolor T right now) Id go for a false water cobra or cribo if I was gonna go bigger noodle. I just hope to get an Uro or 2 down the line for now and maybe a Corn in the future.

1 Like

Yeah my family will always get another dog even if Im not ready for it. I just feel like the new pooch wont live up to Angel…shes just one of a kind and if they get another one after her I hope its another Siberian husky Alaskan malamute or Samoyed. I know Ill be crushed when Angel’s time comes. A couple yrs ago when she had a small surgery I couldnt go home after dropping her off in the morning…I hovered around the area of the vets office all day long in spite of barely having anything to do to pass the time. Angel is the only thing aside from 2 american friends of mine that keeps me going these days. I hope the Uro can help me a bit coping when she goes.

3 Likes