First Time Breeder Here

Hello! I picked up this beautiful girl from a reptile expo a little while ago. I don’t plan on breeding her for a bit yet but I would like to do so eventually when she’s the right size. I’m hoping to get some pointers on what I should look for in a male, morphwise and otherwise, for breeding. She’s a pewter Mojave, double het for clown and albino. Her name is Lady Gray! Any suggestions are welcome!

I’m aware of the oversaturation in the market, this would be more of a hobby of mine as I find genetics absolutely fascinating. I would be open to selling the hatchlings, but I’m also fully willing to keep them myself if I’m unable to do so. I’m also in contact with someone who’s bred ball pythons before and is willing to walk me through/help with the process.

3 Likes

Welcome to the community @razzmcdazz! What a beautiful female you picked up! :smile:

As for as breeding and choosing a good male, that will ultimately come down to you and what you’re interested in. Since you’ve got some time before she’s of to size, I’d just spend my time looking at different combos of snakes, and see if anything “speaks” to you in a sense. You have the ability to go in a lot of different directions, and you have the time to fully invest in a good male for her. Personally, I like dark animals. So I’d tell you to go black head clown or even a blast pastel clown (and I hate clowns ha-ha). Whatever male you get, I bet it will be a fantastic pairing!

2 Likes

I definitely want to explore the clown gene, so I know I’d like to pick up a clown male for certain. I’m also curious about exploring the blue eyed leucistics route so Mojave might be nice as well. I really love high contrast combos and the axanthic morphs are gorgeous. The desert ghost morphs are a favorite of mine too. I’m just unsure how to put it into practice lol :joy:. The black pastel morph is another favorite of mine, I’m hoping to create some high contrast hatchlings with striking patterns.

Given that your female is pewter mojave, it would be unwise to pair her with anything containing cinnamon or black pastel. The super version of those morphs is known to cause defects including duckbills and kinking, and in many cases results in hatchlings that are severely affected

2 Likes

You seem to have a lot for someone who hates them so much :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

It’s true. I have a deep loathe passion for all things recessive at this point :sweat_smile:

@chesterhf I’ll keep that in mind and make sure to avoid those morphs. I’m unsure if my girl is a black pastel or not but I’d prefer to avoid any health issues that would impact quality of life.

Pewter = pastel cinnamon, so she is a pastel cinnamon mojave

Ah okay, I wasn’t sure if there was a different gene for black pastel or regular pastel or if they’d both result in the same deformations

Black pastel and pastel are entirely separate morphs, black pastel and cinnamon are allelic morphs that behave similarly.

Before even thinking about breeding, pairings, and buying a male, I’d definitely take a big step back and spend a substantial amount of time learning more about the morphs, known defects and what causes them, which ones are allelic and what that means for breeding projects, how to ID each and every gene you’re planning on working with by themselves and in combos, etc and so forth

1 Like

I would get a male Pied het Clown het Albino, at a minimum. Your entire F1 generation will be het Pied and if you’re lucky maybe a visual Clown or visual Albino and if you’re REALLY lucky a visual Clown Albino. You could have a shot at triple recessives with the F2 generation. If you upgrade one of those hets to a visual you’ll get an even better shot at the triple recessive. And the incomplete dominant traits would be gravy.

2 Likes

@chesterhf They only told me she was a pewter, which was part of why I was confused. I’m still unsure if she’s a regular pewter or a black pewter and I do intend to do more research. She’s far from being ready to breed but rather than trying to do research on all 220 something morphs if I can narrow down the range to what I will potentially be breeding that will make research significantly more streamlined. I’m still planning on looking into morphs as a whole so I know what to avoid. But I’m also not trying to burn myself out in the next week or two with the sheer amount of information available. I also won’t be breeding her for at least another year, possibly two. I have time and I intend to make use of it, I doubt I’ll even be buying a male for her until at least a year from now. I’m just looking for a starting point research wise and suggestions from people who have bred BP’s before.

@halfmoonlakeherps I’ll look into that. If I go about it the right way I think I might be able to breed some gorgeous dreamsicles down the line given her base genetics. Though that’s definitely a far off goal and I’ll have to do more research.

Dreamsicles have the two traits Pied and Lavender Albino. Lavender Albino is not the same trait as just Albino. With the Lavender Albino, the white parts look more lavender than white. @razzmcdazz’s female is het Albino, not Lavender Albino. So that female has none of the genes for a true Dreamsicle. However, Albino Pieds are gorgeous in their own right.

In order to keep the passion long term, you really need to breed what YOU like, not necessarily what others like or what’s currently hot and selling for high prices. If you don’t breed what YOU like, you’ll become disinterested and lose your passion. Then you’re done with the hobby. At the same time you don’t want to produce a bunch of normals as they are difficult to offload.

In the meantime, watch lots of YouTube videos on all aspects of keeping/breeding BPs. Find some content providers that really resonate with you and subscribe to their channels. Sometimes the best info about IDing a particular trait or combo is buried in a video about substrate, humidity or enclosure size, you never know.