First time breeding

I paired my first Leo’s a month and a half ago or so. They went right at it and it looked like everything went well. I tried pairing a couple more times and the female did not seem interested in the male even though he was interested in her. He’d rattle his tail, etc., while she would either run to the other end of the cage or just not let him breed her. Well, 21 days after the first pairing she laid 2 healthy looking eggs. I tried to pair them again a few times since and she still does not seem interested. It’s been 22 days since she laid her eggs and I’m not sure what to expect now? Is it possible she will lay more even though I haven’t seen them lock since the first time? Do they retain sperm and will she eventually and continue to lay more eggs or do they need to lock again?

4 Likes

You should only need to pair once to get a season of eggs. My plan for pairing is to pair the male and female once every other week until she lays the first eggs, then I would stop pairing them. Congratulations on the eggs and you should get more eggs.

3 Likes

Awesome! That’s kind of what I thought but could not find any information via Google to confirm that. Thanks so much for the help!!!

2 Likes

After further inspection of my female I can make out two more eggs in her abdomen!!! She should probably be laying these any day now.

2 Likes

What was the pairing? Maybe pictures :grin:?

1 Like

That’s great! I would also love to see pictures of them.

Here they are. They are both Extreme Bolds that go back to PAC Herp line.

5 Likes

Very nice! I can’t wait to see your babies!

2 Likes

Those are great looking geckos! I love the contrast! I’m looking forward to seeing what their babies look like.

3 Likes

I’m your experience how long does it usually take the female to lay her second clutch after the first? It’s been 25 days and from what I’ve read they say 15-22 days? Just want to make sure she’s not egg binding.

2 Likes

I’m really not sure. I only had one female that laid eggs and she only laid 2 clutches due to my temperature cycling. So I don’t know an accurate number. There’s not a set schedule so unless you actually see issues of egg binding like lethargy, lack of eating, or weird behaviors then you don’t need to worry about anything. Each gecko is different so the set schedule often isn’t accurate.

2 Likes

Well, she must have laid them yesterday or the day before. I opened up one of her hides today and found the 2 eggs. Don’t know why she didn’t use the lay box. They’re pretty dimpled/shrunken in. Is there a chance they’ll still be good??? I put in the incubator anyway.

3 Likes

I’m not sure how likely they are to hatch but I think it’s possible that they can hatch. “Incubate until there’s no debate”. Even if you’re not sure if they will hatch or not it’s worth putting them in the incubator. There’s nothing that you can lose from it. Right now I would recommend taking moist paper towels and putting them over the eggs to make a cave, make sure the paper towel isn’t touching the eggs directly.

3 Likes