First year leopard gecko mother

She laid her very first clutch May 13th (Getting a female leopard gecko in the "mood" - #9 by asura_kishin) and It’s been exactly 5 weeks since which I read could be cause for concern(?) She doesn’t show signs of distress or pain, but her being gravid she is rather “slow”.

I had also read some places that first year girls can sometimes lay inconsistently.

Pretty much just want to know what I should look for just in case she becomes “egg bound” and I usually treat this community as my final say

Best pic I was able to get

1 Like

Symptoms of egg-binding will be slowness, loss of appetite, and lack of alert. Pretty much any behavior changes. If now she’s alert and will run and move around then she should stay like that. Using that example, if she slows down and doesn’t react to things for a few days then she could be egg-bound. Make sure she has a humid lay box in her terrarium. You want to be careful that you don’t unnecessarily think your gecko is egg-bound because rushing her to the vet could cause more problems. You could also give her a couple drops of olive oil and a 10-15 min bath but that’s not necessary.

1 Like

okay, she is definitely reactive still, will sprint away from me if I do something wrong.
I feel like it might be a repeat of that other post honestly, once I put her back after the pic she started digging and standing on her back legs

1 Like

If she’s digging then just wait for a little while. As long as she’s not laying down (unless typical) limp AND not eating then you don’t need to worry. Just be patient and try not to bother her too much as that could cause her to wait to lay her eggs which could cause egg-binding.

1 Like

Do you by chance see anything through that pic? I’ve seen people/pics showing the gecko with visible eggs, yet I just can’t seem to see it correctly. Including last time when I knew she had them

1 Like

I’m not great at identifying eggs but I would say that she does have them. I’m not positive but I think these are the eggs. However I could be mistaking fat bodies and organs.

3 Likes

Yea, turns out it’s pretty obvious when they get close. this morning it’s almost like they just dropped and now her stomach noticeably bigger

2 Likes

Gottem
Last question tho, Are veins as good of a sign of viability in leopard gecko eggs as they are in ball python eggs? I can’t seem to find much info on leo eggs and veins

1 Like

I’m glad she laid. If the egg has veins it’s viable and if there aren’t veins the egg isn’t viable (however they aren’t always easily visible).

3 Likes

Incubate them regardless. Sometimes it will take a day or two to even see anything! I had that happen to me with one of my Leo’s egg she laid. (She only laid 1)

4 Likes