Fish for hogs?

Hello, just wondering if anyone else had tried this. I have a large tank of african cichlids that are constantly having babies. So I culled some, froze them, then decided to see if my hogs would like them. All 3 of mine very enthusiastically took them right away. I know with fish thiminase is always a concern, but supposedly cichlids dont carry it. And being produced at home under great care, risk of parasites is next to nothing, and I freeze them too just in case. Just wondering what people’s thoughts are on offering a little variety other than rodents.

3 Likes

Well, imho I don’t see anything wrong with it in moderation, especially if they snapped it up. However, do you think there is a possibility that your hogs will quit accepting rodents? Also imho rodents are more nutritious in the long run. But as a change up once in a while……. I would say why not! :blush:

3 Likes

Isn’t the thiamin in the rosy goldfish and regular goldfish anyway? Or am I totally wrong? :joy:

2 Likes

Thiminase is in quite a few species, but goldfish and rosy reds are the most highlighted due to their sale as “feeder fish” although they are possibly the worst thing to feed. But cichlids dont have it. And as of yet they are all still eagerly acepting rodents, i only did like a fish snack a month. But they seem to like it.

2 Likes

I find this very interesting. I never would have thought of cichlids as feeder fish! You may have stumbled upon something new! And it could cut down on your feeding bill as well! I am surprised we have not had any other feedback on this so far……. :+1::sunglasses:

1 Like

I just read a post about whole rodent prey items providing the necessary calcium nutrient for snakes thereby eliminating the need to dust feeder rodents. So imho I would not feed your hoggies fish only if I were you. I’m not saying that might be what you’re planning to do. I just thought I would mention it.

Have a blessed evening! :blush::heart::snake:

I wondered about the nutrition differences, granted being that they are whole fish, they should have calcium in their bones too…but as of now it is just an occasional treat, I can’t feed off all my fish or I won’t have any lol.

1 Like

to me it seems like a really good idea to mix up their diet because it gives them something different which enriches them because in the wild they don’t just eat rodents. It is also putting a use to the fish instead of just throwing them away. An every now and then treat is always good

3 Likes

I am a firm believer in diet diversity, especially for species that are known to have diets that are primarily non-rodent. Rotating fish in for hogs is a great supplementation

A diet high in rodents are actually not that good for hognose given they evolved as primarily toad-feeders. Too much fat.

6 Likes

My property has a large swampy pond that is full of frogs and the big tadpoles and such, I have always been nervous about catching, freezing, then thawing and feeding them, but I’ve heard a good freezing would kill any potential parasites they have. Any input on that? I too think it is benificial to have a varied diet, just like people, I wouldnt want the same food over and over, lol.

2 Likes

A solid freeze in an non-frost-free freezer will take out most things. Frost-free freezers will not accomplish the same thing though

3 Likes

Lol! You are right! :heart::blush::joy:

Yes you are so right! I forgot about the hognose amphibian/toad diet in the wild. Eastern hogs more so than Western hogs…… :blush::snake:

Sounds like wonderful enrichment and dare I say up cycling, what may have been trashed. I think for all except picky eaters it’s a great idea

1 Like