Fishscale fever

The new enclosure looks amazing! I forgot, how many of these cuties do you have? Do you keep them separately or do you cohab them?

3 Likes

I was not angry to see him but I bet he felt the same as you did coming back home! :rofl: Total deer in headlights look, I usually catch a few of them when I come into their room at night but usually they run back to hiding before I can catch a picture.

4 Likes

Thank you! I currently have six of them, 1.1.4 - they are kept separately until I am ready to pair them, as from what I’ve read and been told the females are dominant and will beat up their cage mates.

3 Likes

That answers my next question…if you were planning to breed them! I hope you’re successful! Are there many people breeding them in captivity right now?

3 Likes

I’ve talked to a couple of people who are breeding G. typica, and from when I was first scrounging around doing research on the genus I know there’s more folks working with them that I haven’t had the chance to reach out to yet. My group is captive bred and I don’t think I’ll have too much issue getting them to breed once I’m ready for tiny wily babies :rofl:
They’ve been easy keepers for me so far, I think the main reason they’re not more popular in captivity is that the flightiness and potential to slough skin turns people off.

4 Likes

That’s what terrifies me! I won’t keep day geckos for the same reason. Being able to provide only the most limited veterinary care would drive me absolutely insane!

3 Likes

How do you take care of a gecko if they have sloughed their skin? Will it heal perfectly again? I know day geckos skin will get less bright.

4 Likes

So far I’ve only had one lose its scales on me, and it was basically all of its back scales. I didn’t do anything special for them, just continued my normal routine. They heal very quickly; within 24hrs I could see where new scales were being formed and it grew into small scales after a few weeks. A couple months later you can’t even tell they had lost any to begin with.

Their healing is incredible. I met a breeder at a show with several skin-sloughing species and apparently, it’s even possible for them to reattach lost scales if you put them back on.

3 Likes