Fishscale fever

Hello folks! I’ve posted a few pictures of my fishscales in a couple of threads but I figured I would make a post just for them, because they are my favorites and I will have many more pictures to share as time goes on. I just wish I had better than a phone camera to capture them!
I’ve had them for about three months now. 1.1.4 Geckolepis typica

16 Likes

I have been looking at these guys. Super cool geckos that Id love to add to our herd! Hows the care and feeding of these guys? They are a little bigger than I thought.

7 Likes

These little guys are ridiculously cute! Are they fairly handleable or more of a watch-but-don’t-touch species?

7 Likes

Care-wise they’ve been pretty straightforward so far! I keep the room they’re in around 78ish during the day going up to 82-84 in their warm spots, and then it usually drops in the low 70s at night. I mist once a day, usually right before their lights go off, to maintain 60%+ humidity.
They generally get fed 1-2x a week. They will eat gecko MRPs (I use a variety of Pangea flavors) and bugs (BSF larva and dubias, because crickets are on my ick list), mine love their bugs!

@solarserpents They are definitely in the “no-touch” category. They are way too fast for what a stubby little gecko should be and can slough their scales if they feel the need; I keep a net by their cages which has proven handy. They’re pretty shy, but if they’re awake and I’ve been in their room long enough they’ll pop their little gecko heads out to observe me.
I am slowly working on taming down the largest and boldest of the crew (the one striking a pose in my fingers) though her tolerance of me is pretty inconsistent so far. But honestly, it’s incredibly rewarding on the days she comes to check out my fingers or lets me touch her, more so than whenever I deal with my gargoyle or sarasinorum (neither of which are a particular fan of me or my hands :sweat_smile: I still love them though)

I try to feed and do any cage maintenance during the day to avoid anyone bolting out when they’re awake at night. Maintenance so far is mostly just watering plants or spot cleaning; I have all the setups as barebones “bioactive” with plants and springtails so waste is generally taken care of.

6 Likes

Also pardon the candid picture of my sarasinorum, I must’ve fat fingered that in. :rofl: He is not a fishscale gecko, I will go remove that now…

3 Likes

I think they’re adorable! They strike me with sort of a “creature from the black lagoon meets the Sesame Street” vibe somehow. Or maybe I need some tea to make sense! :laughing:

7 Likes

They’re sure cute :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

I would say that description is very apt! They’re all rounded edges like a stuffed animal, but clearly scaled with those distinct vertical pupils.

3 Likes

I’d never heard of these guys- what a cool lizard!

5 Likes

OH MY GOTH!!!

These have to be the most adorable geckos I have ever seen.

My husband AND my 2 adult kids would kill me if I took to adding more reptiles to the family, however, if I ever do, it would have to be a few of these lovelies.

3 Likes

These are sooo cute! I’ve never heard of them! They’ve got awesome tails lol. Thanks for sharing :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I went to go hang with the geckos for a bit and the girl I have dubbed Chunky Woman was feeling a bit curious.

And then she decided it would be safest to watch from under a leaf!

9 Likes

Seriously, these are some awesome looking geckos!

4 Likes

She’s so cute :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

5 Likes

Oh my goodness. The cuteness. I can’t handle it. :joy:

5 Likes

A story in 3 pictures… I moved Chunky Woman into her upgrade today, after coaxing her off of the ceiling. The new cage has a bunch more hiding so I probably won’t see her again for a while!
The paper towel roll will get taken out, just keeping it for now since it was her favorite hide in her tub.

6 Likes

Aww, soo cute :smiling_face_with_three_hearts: I’m really starting to want one, it’s your fault for tempting me :rofl: :joy: :heart:

3 Likes

:joy: Sorry! They are very adorable. It always makes my day seeing their little faces!

One more picture of my male trying to be sneaky…

8 Likes

These are great enclosures!

4 Likes

He looks like me, back when I was in high school and had snuck out at night, only to come back home and find my parents literally in the front yard talking to a police officer about my ‘disappearance.’ Though I doubt you were furious when you spotted him trying to be stealthy, hehe.

6 Likes