Freezer for rodents

I’m looking for a freezer for rats what should I get it can’t be over 180 dollars and what temperature should I store rodents at

I got lucky with a Craigslist find for a box type freezer that I keep in my garage for rodents, reptile stuff only, I’d say it’s about 4x4x4 give or take…I keep it at freezer temps, whatever that may be. Nothing out of the ordinary for temps just make sure the freezer does its job & fulfills its namesake :joy: Good luck!

1 Like

The first place I would search for a freezer at a reasonable price would be Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace. Often times there are bargains listed. Dont forget you can also give a reasonable offer as well.

For brand new freezers, I did a search and found some that are reasonable in your price range give or take. Here are some links:

As for freezer temps, anything under 32 degrees Fahrenheit. Thats considered freezing temperature. Anything warmer will result in bacteria growth as well as the rodents going bad.

2 Likes

Thanks for the help

1 Like

Ask friends and family members first, you might actually know someone planning on buying a new freezer and getting rid of their old one… Likely paying someone to depose of it. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

I purchased an inexpensive Magic Chef brand chest freezer from Home Depot. I’ve had it a while now and it works great.

1 Like

I’ll be honest I keep my rats in my regular freezer right next to my frozen pizzas lol :rofl: :joy:

But I don’t have very many at this point lol.

5 Likes

I got a Frigidaire 5 cuft. like this one:

It’s been working well for the past 3 years. It was $200 regular price but I found it on sale for $140 back when I bought it.
1 Like

Well how many are you looking to store if you had to guess? I have two mini ice chest freezers I got from best buy a few years ago. I just looked and they have some going for 160 to 180.

1 Like

Me too! A little gross, but it’s fine

3 Likes

It depends how many rodents you plan on storing in your freezer. I prefer chest style freezers. Craigslist and Marketplace on FB can find you a good deal. If you plan to store many long term you may want to use a vacuum sealer. I seal mine and they stay fresh for long periods of time not getting freezer burn.

2 Likes