Future breeding

what morph would be good to breed to these gals? i plan on breeding when they get around 60g if that sounds okay.

first one is a tremper het raptor
second one is a baldy hypo carrottail

1 Like

These girls are also in rough shape. Wherever you are getting your leopard geckos is a terrible source and I wouldn’t purchase from them again for any reason. (Don’t publicly identify your source here though, it’s against forum rules.) There are so many quality, reputable breeders on MorphMarket with reasonably priced geckos that there’s just no reason to pick up worn out, overused breeders that have been receiving terrible care and need to go to a vet.

Make sure you strictly quarantine them. At this point I’d be very concerned about the possibility of disease- definitely get fecals done. Fecal samples should be fresh, collected before drying out, and stored in the fridge for 8 hours or less before submitting to your reptile vet.

These geckos aren’t emaciated, but they are underweight, which is concerning at this time of year (if you live in the Northern hemisphere), as they should be at their fattest before breeding season, especially females. They are both extremely dehydrated, to the point I’d worry about their kidney function. They both need vet visits with fecal testing and need to be rehabbed this season and not bred. Make sure they receive excellent nutrition and not just mealworms or undusted/un-gut-loaded crickets. They should be housed individually while they recover so you can monitor their eating, drinking, and fecal & urate output, as well as ensure there’s no competition for food or space.

They are lovely colors though- so long as they have a year of good care to recover and have a vet visit apiece, and there’s no signs of lasting damage from their previous care (i.e. ‘MBD’), you could breed them in 2023.

A Tremper het Eclipse (also called an Aptor) could be bred to other Tremper/Eclipse morphs, but there’s not a huge market for them as Trempers are the most common form of albino & the market is pretty saturated. Your girl is a lavender, so I would avoid high contrast mates and stick to trying to increase lavender coloration. Nothing quite like a leo with lovely pastel lavender colors!

A Super Hypo Baldy could be bred to other Super Hypos, but market saturation is somewhat of an issue with these as well. So long as you know your gecko is het-free, you have more freedom to go in different directions. You could try and breed for a greater % of carrot tail, a brighter coloration, or to an animal with a pattern if you want babies with spots.

(I assume you got the pictures in the reverse order, as the first animal is not an albino and the second is not hypo.)

2 Likes

i sadly do not have any vets in the area that work on reptiles, let alone 3 hours away+(that i know of. gotta love a small town in pennsylvania) thank you for all the info it really helps! i did get the pics reversed aha. i havent seen them drink at all since i got them, and im not sure how to hydrate them if they dont drink. theyre doing a bit better with me. would wax worms help at all?

so are you saying the first one is a super hypo baldy without the carrottail and the second one is a lavender het eclipse?

HERE you can learn how to find a reptile vet in your area. You’re in New England so I’m pretty sure you should be able to find one, there are a zillion major metropolitan areas in driving distance.

Make a slurry of watery Grub Pie and feed it to them drop by drop with a 1 ml oral syringe (no needle!). You can also do short, daily soaks in clean, room temperature water.

I do not recommend feeding waxworms to leopard geckos under any circumstance. They should be eating appropriately dusted silk worms or small hornworms, Black Soldier Fly Larvae, or gut loaded and appropriately dusted dubia or crickets. Uneaten crickets should never be left in their enclosures as they can eat through your gecko’s skin.

I mean this in the nicest way possible that you don’t seem to understand much about leopard gecko husbandry or breeding yet, and you really should know a lot more before you try and breed them.

I’m pretty sure I’ve explained before that you cannot tell if an animal is heterozygous for a recessive trait, such as Eclipse. What I said is that the albino looks lavender- in leopard geckos, ‘Lavender’ is just a phenotypic description. I have no way of knowing if it is het for Eclipse- you told me that. RAPTOR = Tremper + Eclipse. A “Tremper het RAPTOR” is a slang way of saying the animal is Tremper het Eclipse. The non-albino is probably not a Carrot Tail, but it is hard to tell because she’s missing the end of her tail. A Carrot Tail is defined as a tail that is 15% (or more) orange. There’s no way to know for sure, as she doesn’t have her full tail. I would not call her a Carrot Tail personally.

EDIT: Don’t get discouraged! Everybody starts somewhere, and you already have 3 geckos to learn from, so you’re on your way! :+1:

3 Likes

im actually from the us and the only vet within a two/three hour radius only does cats/dogs/mammals/etc.
my dad had leopard geckos and he did breeding so im not the one that knows much about them yet.

Everything that @mblaney said is spot-on. These geckos should see a vet. Since you’re in the US there are lots of vets nearby. To find one you could either fill out this or tell me your general location (your city/zip code or one that’s near you). If you checked you would likely find one near you. For now they are in terrible shape. Feed them BSFL, silkworms, dusted dubias, and/or hornworms. Dubias are the most readily available and you can get some dusting powder easily. They should have a dish of fresh water 24/7 and you should be feeding them about 4-5 times a week until they are in better condition (every feeding feed them about a dozen food items that aren’t any bigger than the width between their eyes or longer than 2/3 the length of the head). They might be ready to breed in 2024 if you give them great care.

4 Likes

They know you’re in the US. :slight_smile: “New England” is a term still often used to describe the (North-to-middle) Eastern part of the US that comprised the area of the original 13 colonies first settled by Europeans. You said you were in Pennsylvania, which is part of that general geographical and historical area.

I suggest you use the resources that have been offered up here to help you find an appropriate vet. It’s very possible that there are some good reptile vets around that you’re not aware of. Can’t hurt to try!

3 Likes