Gecko Breeding Recommendations

Hello! Ive been a gecko owner for 8 years and am now interested in starting a small scale breeding project with one of my 3 males. He is a Gem Snow and I was thinking of getting a TUG Snow to breed him with, but was curious what other morphs I could potentially breed him with to create some really nice looking and valuable babies.

Also has anyone tried breeding a TUG snow to a Reverse Stripe Tangerine Bell? (my other male Id consider breeding)

Pretty sure mixing any of the lines of any morph will result in pet quality geckos only, as breeders like to keep their lines clean. Not sure if all of the lines of snow/other morphs are compatible either. If you want valuable geckos that can sell quicker and at higher prices, don’t mix lines.

2 Likes

I read it’s best to breed Gem snows with TUGs or Macks, or any of those together as long as its not the same morph because that can cancel out genetics. But Im curious what professional and experienced breeders think would be best.

From my experience you should never mix any kinds of snows together, kind of like albinos. @westridge would also be able to give some good advice.

1 Like

Mixing snow lines is generally frowned up because most people who intend to breed want their lines pure. That would mean that your animals would for the most part only appeal to the pet-only audience, limiting your sales. Mixed lineage snows are also worth a lot less. Gem, Mack and TUG snows are all compatible, however, unlike albino lines which are all incompatible. I’d recommend breeding your Gem Snow with another Gem Snow. The babies would be highly desirable due to the rarity and beauty of Gem Snows, and would probably sell fast at a premium price. As for your Reverse Stripe Tangerine Bell Albino, I’d breed him to the most colorful female Bell you can find, bonus points if she is also a Reverse Stripe. If you try outcrossing him to a non-Bell, I would again go for something really colorful like a Blood or Emerine.

5 Likes

Thank you for that response, very informative and you perfectly answered my questions. Appreciate it!

2 Likes

These are my two boys

5 Likes

Over-the-top gorgeous. Definitely worth breeding both of them.

2 Likes