Gene identification in my first clutch

I don’t have his parent’s pictures anymore since he is over 3 years old and i didn’t talk to his breeder since. But from what i can remember, his mother was a single gene banana paired to male to confirm possible het pied (turned out to be true) and his father was a pied banana and supposed enchi. If as you guys have been saying pied washes out the pattern to the point it can be hard to recognize leopard in it, it is quite possible that the breeder had missed it as well and considered the male as just enchi pied banana.
The remaining siblings in the clutch included (if i remember correctly) banana females, a few non-sexed pied non-bananas, and a pair of male superbanana pieds, possibly other things, but since they were quite high expression i don’t think they were confirmed as anything else beyond that.

1 Like

I was thinking i saw leopard as well. With the low possibility of pied from mom, your probably best only calling them 50% het pied until you can prove mom to be definately het pied through genetic test or pairing her with a visual male pied. Visual male pieds are not that expensive anymore. I also thought that since you said dad had enchi, that maybe we were seeing enchi and leopard combining together or with butter to make the crazy patterns. Heres a BAN, ENCH, LEO for reference.

1 Like

Like a lot of people, I have mixed feelings on the spider complex and the wobble issue. All of the pattern morphs in Spider Complex are supposed to have some wobble issue, but in some of the animals it has almost no visual presence. I currently have 3 animals with spider in them. 2 of the 3 (hrt G.S. and Citrus Pastel Spinner Blast Het Clown) exhibit no wobble at all while the third (het albino) has a hard time with some of his motor skills if he gets too worked up during feeding. Otherwise he’s prety good. I kind of believe the more genes we have packaged in an animal with spider, the less likely the wobble condition will affect them. But there will probably always be other factors that will make the condition stand out. If your one of those people that dont like the issues with spider complex animals then please dont breed them into anything.

For the babies in this feed, it could.also be that the mom is het pied and your getting 1 of 4 that actually is a very low expression pied. Jut make sure you prove the mom out of send in a skin from the baby for genetic testing. Heres another example of low expression pied. This one is a super awsome animal. Unfortunately not mine.

1 Like

Im case anybodys going to ask, thats a Super OD, Super Enchi, Fire Leopard Pied from OZZY. OZZY produces such cool stuff. I just cant typically afforf his animals. Not yet at least.

That is a stunning animal!

As for the spider gene mentioned above, mom is pretty good. She goes all wobbly first few seconds when i take her out of her enclosure, but once she realizes it’s just the cleaning time and she’s fine she chills out and behaves like a normal snake. Every now and then she is trying to climb up the ceiling of her terrarium, which is precisely why hers is a low one so she wouldn’t fall from too high up, but that is about the only “issue” i have with her. She thermoregulates and eats just fine.

The baby in question shows about the same amound of wobble as her mom so far - absolutely nothing when in its baby bin and only a slight confusion when taken out. She started out shy and refused first 2 meals so i have her on live pinkies for now (she strikes and eats them just fine), and hopefully she would make the switch to f/t soon. But she had gained weight since hatching so i’m not that worried. Artemis was the same when i got her - half a year old and barely 150g, but i got her on a steady schedule and she grew up nicely in past 2 years.

Anyway, thank you everyone for your help with the ID. The more i look into the leopard gene the more i see it in my male, so i guess that that’s how i will post these babies as. So far i like the boy 1 the most of the whole clutch, but since i’ve been throwing eyes on some bamboos lately, i guess i will let him go as well once they all pass the 100g mark.

Gotta love how Helios goes immediate full on exploration mode while Artemis is just a nope pretzel. Damn i love these 2 so much

3 Likes