General care for bamboo rat snakes (Oreocryptophis porphyraceus)?

Hi guys! I was just wanted to see if we have any keepers of Asian bamboo rat snakes, and also was wondering about their care. I was specifically looking at Oreocryptophis porphyraceus and was hoping to gain better insight. I know that most consider them an intermediate and usually display snake. I would love to get into the Asian rats someday soon, just wanted some people with personal experience to fill me in on their needs and specifications. Thanks for the help :grin:.

5 Likes

There was a pretty good article in reptile magazine by Chad Brown on keeping and breeding. hope that helps, as I currently do not work with that species, like you hope to in the future.

1 Like

Thanks, that definitely helps. They are such a interesting snakes.

1 Like

They are! I try to mix up the species I keep to have different color schemes and patterns, and I love working with rat snakes, bit of a contrast from the Love and Abbotts Okeetee Corns blotches that I currently work with to the bamboo rat snakes strips and bands. They stay relatively small compared to other rat snakes which I think is great for new and young keepers in the hobby as well.

1 Like