Genes of Corn Snake

Hello, I am just starting to understand corn snake genes and I would like for someone here to say if I am correct or not.
I will give the example of an Amel snake. Lets say an Amel is bred with a Normal, with no hidden genes, the babies will be all Het For Amel, correct? And if so, if I breed a Het for Amel with an Amel, around 50% of the babies will be Normal, Het for Amel and 50% will be Amel, am I right?

Yes but genetics aren’t so clean cut, so your results may vary

1 Like

With recessive genes you need a visual paired to a normal to create hets. But for co-dominant genes if you just had one copy so not the super and bred it to a normal 50% of your babies would have the co-dominant gene.

2 Likes

The corn snake morph calculator is very useful for finding probabilities. You’re correct with those. I’ll second the above. 50% refers to the probability, not the actual amount that will inherit a trait.

1 Like

The Rileys are here

2 Likes

Oh I see, very interesting, I will check that site right now.

My objetive is to create a snow corn snake, wich is an Amel Anery morph.
The guy from the shop said, for this to be accomplished, that I would need to successfully breed a Het Amel Het Anery with another Het Amel Het Anery, and that in a clutch of 16 babies, 8 will be Normal, Het for both, 4 will be Amel, Het for Anery, 4 will be Anery, Het for Amel, and one, with luck, will be Amel Anery, or snow. Is he right?
And he also said that to make a Het Amel Het Anery, I need to breed Amel with Anery.

Here are the results from that pairing

2 Likes

That calculator is amazing.

1 Like

That pairing would produce 66% pos hets which means the snake would have a 66% chance of being het for a certain morph. The probabilities don’t always work that way though. In theory that’s what you’d produce but if you flip a coin 6 times it won’t always land on heads 3 times.

3 Likes

Yes our morphmarket creator and staff have really made a wonderful experience for all of us

2 Likes

Your best choice for making a snow would be pairing a snow to a snow. But if you don’t like the idea of doing that then a double het snow to a visual snow would give you really good results too.

Visual Snow x Het for Snow

1/4 chance

1 Like

Alright guys, thank you very much for clarifying me!!

1 Like

I would like to ask another question, about shipping.
Is it safe to ship snakes between continents? Like, USA to Europe?

1 Like

Of course, we are always ready and able to help, because we love it when others do that for us. I hope you have a wonderful day :heart:

1 Like

Yes it is safe, when done right, but there are special regulations that you need to go through to do that. And that would depend on where you are and where you’d be shipping to. And what species, but I’m assuming corn snakes.

1 Like

Snakes can safely be shipped from the US to Europe, but it is costly and complicated.

1 Like

Alright, that is good to hear, thanks for the help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Some of the notable breeders do minimum shipping amounts, like for example $2500 as a total minimum

2 Likes