Genetic question

Hello all-
New and learning the ball python genetics.
It took me a long time to realize that my big girl Stevie does not have any dark/black markings in her brown marks. While I recognize her as a normal ball
I was wondering if her lack of “alien heads” (her markings are more regular than my other normals)

and black dots is a genetic mutation/gene. Any information would be appreciated.
Thank you

4 Likes

Could you provide a picture that shows her entire body stretched out? Normals are very variable so she’s probably a normal, but without better pictures it’s very hard to tell.

2 Likes

Absolutely
It will be a little later as I need assistance she is over 2300 grams and I am short lol
Thank you

3 Likes

I get it was a pattern question, but holy blue! Haha, im with Erie, better pics definitely needed. Hopefully with better pics some of the forums more experienced individuals can help out.

Its definitely weird if there are no “eyes”. Ive seen a couple “heads” in a normal not form right, but I havent seen all eyeless heads.

1 Like

Updated photos

3 Likes

She has some unique patterns. I would say she’s a normal, a very nice one. Normals are very variable so these pattern types can happen.

2 Likes

The lack of alien eyes by itself is not an indicator anything major is going on, they are one of the pattern/traits that is very plastic. Whole body image makes me think your animal might be a lower expression black back. Again, not necessarily an indicator of anything major going on, just one of many traits that pops up

4 Likes

Thank you all very much

What is black back? I dont see it as a listed morph. Honestly the lack of eyes has me very curious because i dont really see examples of that in most genes unless the pattern itself is skewed. Having normal pattern with no eyes is weird to me.

@verinium, I think Travis is referring to this. It is more of a descriptive term then an actual morph.

1 Like

Ah! That looks very similar! So its something that may carry forward if line bred, but isnt so much a gene as just a genetic trait. Gotcha!

1 Like

Yes, as Riley notes :+1:t4:

Not always. There are some cases where it is most probably a single gene mutation (or closely associated with one, hence why we have the valid morph ‘Lace Black Back’ in the BlkPastel complex)

It is probably better to call it a phenotypic descriptor as it describes how the animal looks versus how the exact genetics play out

1 Like