Genetic Stripe X Piebald issues?

That makes 2 of us ha hopefully we get to find out

2 Likes

I guess the Normal girl is still building so threw theale back in about 15 min ago :blush:
So hopefully I can still get both these girls to go :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

Best of luck! I’m still pairing mine as well.

2 Likes

Thanks you too! I just want to see the super enchi G-STRIPE Pied ha. Not asking to much with all the other odds at play ha

4 Likes

Lock with the Enchi Dbl het

6 Likes

Good news guys! My adult female has been eating well and breeding this year and I finally got an ovulation!

Cross your fingers that she’ll give me good eggs! She hasn’t done her pre-lay shed yet, so I probably won’t get them until December. Last clutch of this year, first babies next year.

3 Likes

I am hoping for you! I would love to see a g-stripe pied.

2 Likes

She gave me 6 good eggs! They’re big ones too. I’m so thrilled! They’re the last clutch of this year and they’ll be the first babies of next year.

4 Likes

I can’t wait to see this!

Congratulations that’s awesome!

For sure!

1 Like

Good news and bad news guys, on the bright side, the babies have hatched! They actually hatched on the 10th, but it took me a while to get the photos off the camera. Here you go!

I hit the double recessive! Not only that, but I hit so many recessives that there’s only one baby in the clutch that isn’t a visual for one trait or the other! I hit enchi on everything too. I was so excited about it, right up until yesterday morning when I peeked into the shed box I have them in and found my double recessive dead.

Might want to avoid scrolling down if you don’t want to see this.

Poor little guy. He didn’t even get to have his first shed. I already picked out a name and started to think about future pairings.

I’m not sure what happened. He looked fine the day before. I realize he looks kinked in the picture, but that’s a combination of the position he was coiled in and the fact that rigor mortis had started to set in by the time I found him.

All of the other babies are alive and well. Three have already shed out and the other two will likely do so tomorrow. I’m devastated that I lost my double recessive boy though. He was so gorgeous.

4 Likes

I am so sorry! He was a beautiful boy, he would have been a great breeder. Do you think you are going to try this pairing again?

3 Likes

Bloody hell…

Breeding bring so much happiness, but when you get the bad ones it really makes you think…

I breed Cresties atm, Royals will be a future thing for me as mine are growing, but last year we had some awful days with the Cresties, hatching out with brains out or conjoined, just not nice… Some couldn’t get out themselves… and I remember just sitting there thinking ‘why’… Why me, why that poor baby… What if I found them earlier…
But it does happen and unfortunately there’s nothing we could’ve done better than we already do…

I am so sorry that he passed, I’m glad your others are doing well too, keep us updated if you can :heart:

3 Likes

Super sorry to hear this man! Tough break for sure

4 Likes

I’ve been thinking about what might’ve caused his death, and while I realize this doesn’t look good for the combo (at all), I haven’t heard of anyone else suffering similar casualties. There are definitely healthy Gstripe Pieds out there (I don’t think Kinova would be working with them if there weren’t) so I don’t think the combo is the problem.

That being said, it is true that the parents of these babies are full siblings, so I also considered the possibility that inbreeding might’ve caused his death. If inbreeding were the issue though, I’d expect to have problems with more than just one baby. So far the others are doing fine, so I don’t think inbreeding is the issue.

Most likely I will repeat the pairing again in another year or two, depending on how long the female takes to recover. I think another clutch or two from her will help me figure out whether the genetics of the parents are the issue or not.

I also have another, unrelated, female double het that is getting up to size. She hasn’t locked with my male yet, but she’ll be more than big enough to breed by the end of the year, so I might get another shot at it this year.

1 Like

Sorry about your Cresties! I’ve had a few deformed baby snakes before, but nothing quite that severe. I’ve had a few that were pretty badly kinked, but that’s about it.

The others are doing great. I just took pictures of than after their first shed. I’ll post those in a bit.

1 Like

It’s a bit belated, but here are the remaining babies!

I have: 1.1 Enchi Gstripe 66% pos het Pied, 1.1 Enchi Pied 66% pos het Gstripe, and 1.0 Enchi 66% pos double het Gstripe Pied.

I think the male Enchi Gstripe (#2 in the photos) might actually be Super Enchi. I’m not sure, because I’ve never seen an Super Enchi Gstripe before, but he has a stronger head stamp and more erratic pattern than the female.

They’re all doing great and most have taken their first meal! The male Enchi Pied is the only holdout.

3 Likes

My favorite one!

Sorry for your loss. Even with the other breeder mentioning possible problems with the combo it still could be coincidental. But thanks for sharing your experience so people know to consider the possibility. I was many years down the road in my caramel project before the fertility issues with caramel females became widely known.

If it were me I would look for an unrelated male as males are cheaper and grow up faster on the chance that the death was due to an unrelated recessive gene that just happened to land on the double visual.

I’m probably over paranoid about inbreeding but if you can avoid it I would.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s definitely something I’ll consider if I have any more unexpected deaths with that pairing. I think it may have been just extremely bad luck, but I won’t really know unless I try again.

1 Like