Getting RAT snakes to eat first meals

Looking for all but mostly out of the box methods to get RAT snakes to eat first meals

3 Likes

What have you tried so far? The tricks I’ll always try first (after one or two attempts of feeding a regular, thawed pinkie in a deli cup overnight) are boiled pinkie, brained, washed with dish soap, lizard scent.

Out of the box methods that are less likely to work, but might work on some are bird scent, car ride or sitting on top of the dryer while it’s running, tuna scent, frog scent, chicken scent, slap feeding, or tease feeding.

4 Likes

Done all of these including car rides on bumpy roads. In addition scenting with mouse bird and rat nests. Wild nests. Plus feeding at night and over night. Also besides deli cup i use small pharmacy paper bags and staple shut over night. Just seeing if there is something i dont know about. Been breeding since 80’s so ive tried lots . Oh also short brumation period and chicken heart strips.

2 Likes

Your only few miles from me

3 Likes

Yep, sounds like you know all the tricks. I’ve also had success feeding live baby western fence lizards, as a last resort if nothing else is working. Sometimes shipping them to someone else can also work. And of course there’s force feeding or tube feeding, if you’re open to those methods.

And yeah, we moved out here last year, just a bit south of Casa Grande.

2 Likes

Thanks for your thoughts. Appreciate it so much

3 Likes