GHI color change

Anyone have any picture references on how GHI color change color from daytime to nighttime I read about this the other day and was wondering how true this was!?

From what I know they, along with other BP, don’t change color depending on the time of day. They “change” color depending on the lighting you have them in. They look different in natural light vs artificial light.

4 Likes

That’s what I was thinking just the light not actual color change. I just read about it so I was wondering how true it was. Thank you

Matt Leher (originator of the GHI) had documented that the morph does indeed undergo a colour change. Unfortunately, the thread with all the photos he had posted was on the BLBC forum which is dead and gone.

From my own animal, she cycles to a sort of Hypo-ish appearance about an hour or two after lights out. It is subtle on her but it is definitely a real thing. I have seen it more strongly in a few GHI Mojave combos.

I also see the fade in my BlkPastel Cypress Woma but there is no rhyme or reason to it with that combo. I can open the tub at 10a while changing paper in the tubs and have a black and grey snake then come back thirty minutes later when doing water bowls and have a brown, tan, buckskin and yellow snake… :man_shrugging:t4:

7 Likes

That’s crazy, do you believe this is due to the way the scales are positioned? … In the same sort of fashion that hairs on our arms stand on end when a breeze passes?

2 Likes

If I had to guess, I would think it is more probably a hormonal response of some kind

2 Likes

I’d say the color change could very well be caused by a similar process to what happens with breeding females doing the “glow before they go” thing.

As @t_h_wyman said, a hormonal change of sorts. Maybe this affect most or all ball pythons, but they’re only visible to our naked eye when it comes to certain morphs and morph combos.

1 Like

Thank you for that I was sure I read this was true thanks for bringing this to light!

1 Like

Now that I have a GHI, I can say that they absolutely do change color.

This is how my Chocolate GHI Mojave girl looks normally, and this is how she looks when her color has changed:

9 Likes

That’s neat!
I’ll have to keep a closer eye on my pastel GHI male I got recently, and see if he undergoes any color changes as well.

2 Likes

I don’t know how noticable it will be in other combos, but if they look as different as this girl looks then you definitely can’t miss it. If I hadn’t already known about the color change GHIs can have beforehand, I would have been completely caught off guard when I saw this for the first time. Heck, I was still caught off guard by how noticable it was lol!

1 Like

Wow!!! This gal is an absolute smoke show!!!

1 Like

Thanks! She’s also possible het Rainbow and Hypo, so hopefully I will be able to prove that out. I paired my Pastel Chocolate probable Hypo DG male to her, looking forward to make some Super Chocolate GHI and Hypo combos!

1 Like