Giant day gecko laying eggs

Hi everyone, so just yesterday my female giant day gecko laid one infertile egg in her hide. She and my new male are in separate thanks but are next to each other, but the only contact they’ve had is visual. I am setting up a bigger bio enclosure for them to cohabit eventually.
•Could this be a sign of her being ready to mate?
Thanks

1 Like

I would think that’s a sign. She’s producing eggs. She’s telling you to let her see her man hunk over in the other cage.

Hopefully someone with more Knowledge will chime in and give you a 100% more likely correct answer.

3 Likes

How old is she?

Eggs can be a sign, but also geckos young can lay them. For instance I’ve had a Crestie at 9 months lay, she was not ready! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Hahah thanks, you and I are in the same page.

1 Like

She’s an adult. Didn’t buy her as a hatchling, she was already a decent size and I’ve had her since 06/21/21, as Father’s Day gift, so she’s at least 1 year old if not a bit more. That’s her few days after setting up her tank.

i

2 Likes

Then I’d say wait a little more to breed, til next year atleast!

That viv is too small for her really, no branches to climb and not tall enough… need atleast 90 tall Exo wise I’d say… 60 min…
they’re big and active so she defo needs an upgrade as does that make is same size. Would do so before breeding really :relaxed:

2 Likes

Yes, She’s going to a bigger tank, for her and her partner. Also, her tank is no longer like this, I had this tank for peacock day geckos like I said this was a surprise gift, I’ve added a surplus of branches and hides, plants have also taken over beautifully. But I agree she needs a bigger tank, although she doesn’t seem to bother the size, she doesn’t show signs of stress, on the contrary, She even lets me clean and trim the plants once in a while and doesn’t even care about me at all. Also, I haven’t moved her to the taller tank because if I do she’ll get territorial, and instead of breeding, she could try to fight the male instead.