Giant vs overweight leopard gecko

I have a SHT male that weighs in currently at 82grams. My question is, to be considered a giant, is it based on weight, or is it strictly a genetic trait? He is about 4 years old. This is a picture of him compared to my other male that weighs 56 grams

I was always told giant was genetic but to be completely honest I have my doubts. A bigger gecko will produce bigger offspring in that way it is genetic, but based on what I’ve seen over the years that’s as far as the genetics went. I haven’t seen too much evidence that a super giant leo produces 100% giant geckos. It’s supposed to a co Dom type of thing that a giant will produce 50% giant offspring when breed to a non giant and a super giant will produce 100% giant offspring when breed to a non giant. Spoke to people who worked with the gene for years and the results were not so cut and dry. I could be wrong here not saying I’m right but like I said I have my doubts.

1 Like

got out of Leos a few years back but from what i understand there is a giant and a super giant. your male could very well be a giant and if i remember correctly most super giants and giants surpass 80 to 100 grams within the first year. your male also has good body proportion and condition so he is definitely not fat

2 Likes