Gnat infestation help!

So this year i made my first bioactive tank for my two tiger salamanders. For the first few months everything qas going swimmingly. Salamanders were content the usopods and springtails were breeding and thriving.

Unfortunately this last month its become infested with gnats. Im not sure what cause it but right now im at a loss of what to do.

I’ve got gnat traps inside the tank (secured and out of reach of any animal) I’ve let the tank cool down, i avoid useing the light, let the top inch of soil dry out. I have even stopped putting and isopod food down. Ive even taken a vacume to suck up the little buggers and it feels like i hard made a dent.

Has anyone else had this experience? What did you do to correct it? Do i need to just strip the tank and start fresh? Im seriously going insane here.

3 Likes

Once your tank establishes more, the spring tails and isopods should out compete them. Would we be able to see the tank?

4 Likes

I have some older pictures of when i first set up the tank. Im at work atm but ill post recent ones when i get home

3 Likes

@ghoulishcresties has a lot of bios. Maybe she can give you some advice…. since I tagged her….

3 Likes

Current state of the tank. Did some matinance added more soil and gave it all a good mix. fresh water new leaves and fresh gnat traps. Im quietly optomistic as the soil mixing seemed to smother a lot of them. Hopefully the gnat traps will take care of the rest of them.

2 Likes

That looks like a really well put together tank! Hopefully someone can give you some advice for the gnats! :pray:

2 Likes

Thank you! Its my first bio tank i spent months researching and gathering supplies for it. I was so pleased when everything began growing and thriving

2 Likes

:+1: Including the gnats! :joy: Sorry I couldn’t help myself…….

But hopefully the isopods are springs will be able to take care of them! :heart::pray:

2 Likes

Tank looks lovely!

Have you added anything new in to bring them in not knowing?

Issue is you may not get rid without stripping and starting again, hopefully traps work, if not that’s best option x

2 Likes

I was afraid that was going to be my only other option. everything in there is what was there when i put it together. Turning the soil seemed to kill a lot of them and im hoping the traps get the rest if not i guess im starting over

3 Likes