Going crazy trying to find appropriately-sized hide/s for northern bts…

I feel kind of oblivious for even having to ask this, but… what are some hides that would be ideal for an adult northern bts? It’s hard to gauge, because most hides have dimensions intended for animals to curl/coil up inside of. I’m also assuming that a young skink will need a smaller hide to begin with, in order to feel secure? I just… have been shopping for weeks, and keep second-guessing myself. :persevere:

I would also prefer a hide that is aesthetically pleasing and non-porous/easy to clean, as opposed to the more artificial, utilitarian-styled trays or the product-of-nature logs and cork wood (how do people who use wood get around the wood molding, or absorbing waste/food matter?).

2 Likes

Well if you find one, post it here. I need one for my Miroku BTS!! I’ve been looking as well. Thinking I may have to just make one!

You could use any porous hide and then coat it in an epoxy (be sure it’s reptile-safe). It would make it easy to clean and it would look good.

1 Like

I personally use a large rock propped up on a few smaller rocks and a (I think) x-large exo terra hide. The large rock probably won’t work for what you want but it is pretty functional as a hide and a good basking spot. The exo terra is probably more of what you want.

Also for reference my BTS is around twenty inches and comfortably fits in both. Also my enclosure looks bare because I am doing a substrate change

2 Likes

I’d been looking at the Exo-Terra ones, but the measurements just seemed way too tight, even on the xl/xxl. I’m really relieved to hear you say that your bts still uses them at 20”! Either the website is wrong, or I way underestimated the skink’s ability to maneuver in small spaces (likely). XD Thank you!

1 Like

I was worried about the xl being too small also but it is probably one of the best sized hides for a blue tongue. I also have the xxl and all I can say on that is way to big for any northern I have ever seen.

1 Like

For whatever reason, the xl I bought came as a set with the xxl… I figured one or the other would have to fit. XD Ah well, I’ll save the bigger one for another animal, down the road.

1 Like