Gold Jumping spider

Im working with some new species- this one is a rare relative of apacheanus and nikites

often a golden-yellow color (especially males), these jumpers have neat facial-markings.

20 Likes

Wow!! Stunning! :heart_eyes:

Is their care difficult?

7 Likes

I love the colors! Especially that teal one. Just wow! Makes me think of those little tiktok videos I see of the small spider that’s “talking” when it comes to feeding time, lol. It’s so cool your camera can get that close and focus on them too. Like the detail is insane!

4 Likes

care is simple, like other phidippus species. These are tough and like heat and dryness, mine often refuse water for long periods of time.

I took these photos by taping a jeweler’s loupe on my phone which let me zoom in better

6 Likes

Those look amazing! What are they called?

3 Likes

Beautiful creatures! Nice tip on jeweler’s loupe, too.

3 Likes

phidippus aureus

they’re pretty hard to find in large numbers- i searched my butt off and got only 4. seems they’re out-competed and also predated upon by all the other phids in their habitat- probably because of their smaller maximum size.

4 Likes

Her eggs have hatched and i now have a bunch of baby aureus!

Note the white stripe down the back

11 Likes

Congratulations! Do these babies stay together for a while or do you need to separate them pronto?

2 Likes

if you see the post linked, there are multiple specimens in the same container in an image

they are kept communally for a while in a nursery enclosure until i3-i4 when cannibalization begins.

when kept this way you will have a significant decrease in mortality rate until they turn on one-another.

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply, that’s what I was wondering. It’s interesting to me that they apparently benefit from communal living.

1 Like

in the wild they actually stay with mom for a week or two during i2 before they disperse. they will eat what she catches. the mother will hunt during brooding but will poke outside the nursery web and not go completely out.

1 Like

They are getting bigger and really starting to develop color now.

They are large enough for mini mealworms now, making them significantly easier to care for.

3 Likes