Guyana Redtail X Nicaraguan

I have been keeping snakes for a decently long time and I was wondering why nobody I have seen has tried a combination like the topic. I have been contemplating making a possible cross of these two types of boa to see just how the resulting potential offspring might come out. I have the space and time to commit to the project, as well as money and resources. I am trying to test the waters for interest, as well as get some input such as negatives/cons to the idea, and see just how this community feels about this. Thank you for reading and looking into this, and I’m looking forwards to hearing what you all have to say about this. I am open to all criticism and interest.

2 Likes

I’m sure someone has done it before, but hybrids/crosses are generally frowned upon by purists so people don’t tend to post about them.

2 Likes

At one point, I was something of a purist myself. Eventually, after raising chickens of all things, I realized that sometimes the resulting hybrid had more desirable traits than the parents, although keeping pure lines is essential too. I was hoping to see if that line of logic also worked with crossing boas.

1 Like

You probably won’t find much interest in people getting them. Any time you create something without much value behind it there’s a chance a good portion of the babies will end up in temporary homes and traded around alot throughout their lives vs a pure Guyana or nic. Boas aren’t really the best animal to mix localitys just for fun, it’s hard enough finding homes for normal Colombians outside selling them dirt cheap.

1 Like

Yes that is true, things can go south pretty easily. Thank you for the input, I’ll make sure to keep all that in mind should I ever actually try anything. Mainly, this was all a hypothetical thing, although I’ve had a few people I know get pretty interested in the idea. If it did ever happen, I’d certainly be able to keep a lot of the offspring if they weren’t able to find homes though.

2 Likes

Size is also generally inherited more from the dam than sure in snakes (and many other animals/reptiles, Reach Out Reptiles has found this in Super Dwarfs too) so I would assume the same is with boas - I assume that’s the general curiosity? Hell, a Tarahumara Mountain Boa crossed with a Guyana would be interesting, probably more complimentary too, and given the pretty extreme size difference it’d probably work with either being the male/female lol.

But yeah, Gopher Your Pet has had BCO/BCI crosses up for cheap for a while, while pure BCOs have dissapeared for 2x the money. What the above responses mentioned I think holds true. Hell I hate finding CA boas when I want a specific locality. Wish we had a morph-history list, so we knew if any morph is in an animal it isn’t 100% lol (I like morphs too, but I also agree once a locality is outcrossed, it’s a new thing)

1 Like