I was wondering if anyone has hung shelves in pvc enclosures using normal shelf brackets? Trying to make sure the pvc wall is strong enough to support hanging a shelf that is at most 10 lbs and support a growing python. I was thinking of using long screws that I can go through the 1/2 pvc and use washers/nuts to secure. Would it be better to also place a bracket on the outside for additional support? The shelf material is slate and the brackets are steel rated for 100lb+. Will be going into my 4x2x2 AP enclosure to give my carpet a basking shelf and a shelf on the cold side to make use of the open spaces.
My concern is that it would warp the enclosure unless you also attached to both sides as well as the back.
@randall_turner_jr what do you think?
I agree you could have plastic deformation without attaching it to the sides as well. When I’ve not wanted to have a shelf go the entire width I will still connect it to one side and install a riser down to the floor of the enclosure on the free end.
As of right now, the basking shelf is going into the corner so i will have one bracket on the back wall and the other on the side wall. The cold side shelf will be attached to the side wall only. Would that work? Or should i attach it the same as the basking shelf?
I would attach it the same way as the other.
Alright. I’ll make it work. Thanks. Will take pics once completed.
Please do, I am following to see this work out.
It wouldn’t hurt to have a support on the outside (both sides) that goes from top to bottom. This will allow some extra support from the top and bottom corners.
Alright. It took me a while to get this thing going. Tried to chisel a piece of slate to a 90 deg and ended up breaking it in half, lol. Went to the pond & rock store and picked up another slate rock with more of a 90 already in it and was hot from baking in the sun. Also was more flat on top and bottom, which worked better for the shelving brackets. Also went through two masonry bits as they both began to melt from trying to drill holes. All said in done it looks pretty good. Had to seal this piece of slate as well as it was prone to flake with glitter pieces. I used some leftover grout to cover the tops of the screw heads with silicone. It doesn’t match, but I didn’t want to buy a new bag for a small amount. Anyways, here are the pictures you’ve been waiting for.
I am still debating hanging one on the cold side. Was a pain to tighten the nuts on the back and reach in the enclosure with a screwdriver by myself. Also have to get new masonry bits as the other ones were toast from this one piece lol.
That’s great, appears the considerable effort was worth it.