Hard Belly Removal *Graphic Treatment Photo*

This is the first treatable sized hard belly I’ve had. The only other one I’ve had, the mass was so large the animal had to be euthanized shortly after it hatched.

I can’t thank @jkobylka enough. I wouldn’t have known this was possible without the JKR Pro Tips video on treating Hard Belly. It seems to have been successful, so hopefully a very neat little hatchling gets a chance now.

It was not very difficult to do but a lot of patience was required to move the mass slowly. If the umbilical opening isn’t completely healed, make sure to guide the mass upward over it. It feels like it could easily tear open.

Graphic Treatment Photo - Click to view.

10 Likes

Is this something only ball pythons get? I’ve never heard of it before. What causes it?

3 Likes

No it happens in other species of pythons as well. It’s very easy to harm a fragile hatchling trying to remove the mass

3 Likes

It can happen to most pythons we keep in the hobby. It’s a hardening of absorbed yolk but I couldn’t specify why it happens.

2 Likes

Given that the alternative is death or surgery, I think in most cases the risk is worth it. It’s an extremely simple process and if you take your time it’s going to be the least impactful treatment option. Yes there are risks, but that’s unavoidable in breeding.

5 Likes

Please give a follow-up to tell us how things go, if you can. I’m curious!

3 Likes

Definitely!

2 Likes

I’ll continue to update as he grows but I’m pretty confident at this point that his digestive system is functioning correctly. He had the typical absorbed yolk bowel movements I expect to see from hatchlings. He’s taken his first meal a few days ago and it’s obviously breaking down nicely with none of the excessive bloat I sometimes see in defective hatchlings.

Looks like the little dude will be fine based on what I can observe.

17 Likes

Third meal down, he’s doing fine.

15 Likes

He is such a pretty snake

2 Likes

Thank you!

1 Like

How’s he getting on?
What morph is he? He’s beautiful!

3 Likes

He’s doing great. I think he’s safely out of woods. The pairing was Calico Pastave x Super Pastel. I think he’s just a calico pastave with a big ringer.

5 Likes

Oh I’m glad!
Calico was the only thing I wondered, me and the other half have been trying to guess! He thought Leopard was in him also.
Beautiful baby, is he a keeper? :blush:

2 Likes

I am wondering too lol :joy:

2 Likes

:joy: yeah he’s staying here but I did use the same male quite a bit this season so I may have some later in the year.

4 Likes