My 150w CHE have been frustrating to keep in range in my 48x30x18 enclosures. Even controlling them with a Herpstat 4 they get way too hot then way too cool before kicking back on. I dropped down to a 100w but struggled to get up to temp in the winter.
I decided to pull the trigger on Wilbanks RHPs. 120w for the larger enclosures and I ordered a couple 80w for some future 48x24x15" I plan on building/buying in the near future.
I’ll update with how they work in comparison to the CHE but was curious if anyone else has experience with these? I know ProProducts are the go to but the wait and odd ordering process turned me off.
Also, is it best to run RHP on pulse or dimming mode?
I’m using one and I love it now. It had been a problem, but I spoke to Mike Wilbanks and the thing is you do need a Pulse Proportional thermostat to get them to really be consistent instead of swinging wildly. On the right thermostat, mine does an excellent job. I have a wire wrapped around the cable of the probe to position it properly a little ways under the panel on the ceiling, and I also dialed it in with the use of other thermometer metrics all through that end of the enclosure.
For my BP I use that panel on the ceiling, and then mild belly heat inside a warm hide, because cooler overall air temps and a “hot” hide among other hides is what my BP is used to. The panel could heat the enclosure to a lot more, but this is what I do. It works nicely for this boy and he’s eating like a champ.
That’s a great idea with the wire to hold the probe in place. I sometimes wonder if that’s part of my issue currently. @athleticshoelace did you notice any smells that would warrant a burn off period with the panel? I’m thinking I might just plug it in on a spare probe for a day or 2 before installing in the enclosure if there is any smell to it.
Luckily my stat does both. I may try and see if the CHE works better on pulse, until the RHP shows up.
I have had another panel do a smell and need a burn off period, but the Wilbanks panel doesn’t seem to need that at all by my reckoning, no.
The wire I used is a safe non rusting metal, and I kind of bent it into a U then started just under the probe tip thing, wrapping back and forth so the ends, which i did curl tight over for safety, are outside the enclosure. Then it’s fixed in place on the outside of the tank, with the cords arranged down to the thermostat itself.
That let me bend the thing down and over to get it in the right spot in space to be useful.
It’s a cooler day and temps are coming up pretty quick in the enclosure so I think I sized it appropriately. Thanks for all the tips and recommendations. Enclosure is bare bones until I see it function properly.
Well it’s only been a couple days but the difference in consistent heat compared to CHE is night and day. Every time I’ve temped the ground under the RHP it’s been 89-91F, which is amazing for me compared to the 85-100F swings I was battling before. I’ll be swapping out my other CHE 150w for another 120w Willbank’s today.
I plan to build a couple 48x30x15" enclosures over the next couple weeks and test out the 80w in that size.