Has there been any genetic research done on morphs, besides lemon frost?

I’m really interested in the genetics of leopard geckos and would love to read more about how morphs affect the genes, for example the fact that there’s three albino morphs that have the same visual result that are incompatible, I assume means they affect the the same gene at slightly different locations. Then there’s the fact that mack snows can result in supers when mixed with tug or gem despite them not having super when mixed with themselves or each other, does that mean that mack snow basically layers over the results of the others intensifying the affects resulting in a super.

3 Likes

I didn’t know that was the case with both TUGs & Gems, very interesting! Have others seen/heard this as well? I wonder if/how Albey Snow (dominant, I believe) is related in some way?

I’ve actually never found any info directly stating what results when a visual TUG is crossed with another TUG or the other Snow strains. Same for the Gem Snow and Albey Snow, though I think I heard Albey definitely ≠ Mack. Mack x Mack crossing is the only Snow I’m really familiar with.

:thinking:

I know @chesterhf & @t_h_wyman would understand more what’s going on genetically, but I don’t think either of them are into leos. I admit that I’d have to do a fair amount of reading to refresh my memory re: inheritance, etc., and I just don’t have the brainpower to spare at the moment, hehe! :see_no_evil:

But to address the question- I’ve only read peer-reviewed articles focused on the inheritance and associated health issues of certain morphs in leopard geckos that focus on Lemon Frost & iridophoromas (may have misspelled that). I’d definitely also be interested in checking out any other articles that discuss/research morphs in leopard geckos, including looking into the 3 strains of albinism. Maybe look on PubMed?

3 Likes

Regardless of appearance, the fact that they are incompatible means they are three separate genes and not the same gene

I know absolutely nothing about any of these morphs so I cannot provide any real information here other than to say that I suspect this is, at least partially, down to yet another vagarity in the use of the illegitimate term “super”

3 Likes

Ah ok so the albino mutations then likely affect the genes that control the chain line that allow the melanin to do its job so like one prevents the production all together while another could prevent it’s transportation ect

1 Like

Yep, most likely. The whole melanin synthesis pathway is really complex so there are a dozen or so ways you can “break” it and each of those will give you a different morph

3 Likes