Hatching having trouble flicking tongue

One of my super arctic hatchlings hatched out a bit slow. She does small tongue flicks fine but sometimes when she does long tongue flicks, she sticks her tongue out for awhile with the forks together before pulling it back in. Her tongue can fork, but she seems to have trouble controlling it? I think she’s aware of it too, because she seems to prefer tiny small tongue flicks. Is this a derpy hatchling thing that will self resolve? She’s had this issue for 2 days so far. I’m out this weekend but will check on her when I return in case she still has trouble flicking.

6 Likes

I’ve seen a lot of issues with it in hatchlings of various species. It generally works itself out with age.

6 Likes

Have you tried gently bathing them? Sometimes the sticky egg goo just kind sticks everything together. If they haven’t tried drinking on their own yet they may not had a chance to really get that off.

Hopefully they perk up a bit for you.

3 Likes

I’ll give that a try! I gave her some water to drink but maybe she’ll benefit from a gentle soak :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I came home and she learned how to flick her tongue! She’s the slowest and sweetest hatchling. I’m obsessed haha

7 Likes

Glad it worked out! She is a cutie.

I am trying to find out as much as I can about little issues like this before my first hatchlings next year so I don’t have an aneurysm :laughing:

2 Likes

Hahaha I feel you! This one seems a bit delayed but she ate her first meal yesterday! She took forever to decide of course. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes