Hatchling color question

Not asking for morph ID, they need to shed. I have never hatched Fire/Flame Spiders until now. My leopard fire clutch wasnt gray likes this. Does the combo start out this gray? She just came out of the egg, so i know she needs to shed a few times but she is silver/gray. Axanthic is not known to be in the pairing.

9 Likes

Hey @nikkip,

Some combos can come out looking like they lack color, and will very rapidly change within the first couple of sheds. I would make sure to keep it on some moist paper towels or keep it in the box you had the eggs in so it doesn’t have issues with the umbilical cord not falling off.

6 Likes

Most pigments are oxygen sensitive and the low-ox concentration in the egg does not facilitate the full expression of their final colouration. After a shed or two you will notice a change :+1:t4:

9 Likes

@nswilkerson1 & @t_h_wyman are right of course! I just wanted to say that it really does look silver and black just like a axanthic! I also like the slightly reduced pattern it has! Very pretty! You should do a before/after pic so everyone can see the color change in that python. Nice snake!

6 Likes

Will do. The last 2 in the egg are silver too. Its really neat. Not something i have ever aeen before.

5 Likes

lol! I just commented on this guy! He does look grayish or whitish! :blush::wink::frog::lizard::snake:

4 Likes

Darn! I was hoping his color would be silver! :blush::wink::frog::lizard::snake:

3 Likes

See you are already getting great advice and encouragement!!!

2 Likes

All three spiders have this silver look. The other 2 do not. Its really interesting

2 Likes

Yes! With BPs you never know what you are going to end up with! I hope you hold him back?

:blush::wink::frog::lizard::snake:

2 Likes

How about naming him/her Zebra…… lol!

2 Likes

Havent totally decided yet

3 Likes

This ones headstamp. 1more silver one left

4 Likes

Wow! This one is unique as well! I am glad I am not you because I would probably, well, hmmmmm…. Lol! :blush::wink::frog::lizard::snake:

2 Likes

I have a Fire Spider here that was a lot more golden than yours out of the egg.

First pic is pre shed after whole clutch was out of the egg, second pic is 15 days after the first picture.

5 Likes

Well bad news. We lost power a few weeks ago for around 8 hours… the entire clutch has some degree of shark mouth. Hopefully they can eat. Then off to new homes as pets.

2 Likes

So sorry to hear that! Also, I am not saying that’s what happened here but dramatic temperature fluctuations can also affect the overall look -both color and pattern in baby snakes as well. I wish you the best luck getting them to eat for ya! Thanks for sharing!

4 Likes

Oh my! I hope they turn out ok!

2 Likes

I euthanized one, she wasnt breathing right, (so hard her whole.body shook)…couldnt seem to move right. She had a pretty bad shark bite. Half the lower jaw was not there and didnt seem to have a tongue, when she yawned i could not see a wind pipe hole (not sure on the name). She could obviously breathe but something was definitely wrong and i felt it better she didnt suffer. the others just have a mild underbite. It shouldnt affect them at all.

1 Like

Oh I just saw this post! I am so sorry you had to go through with this!:cry:.

But this situation was beyond your control……

Caron

1 Like