Hatchling eating problems

I’ve heard that keeping temperatures higher sometimes helps. In some species it’s worse to keep them hotter as it decreases their feeding response and increases deaths (the species I’m thinking of has a high death rate anyways), it likely depends on the species. I personally wouldn’t keep them above 90* but some people may have luck with higher temps.

3 Likes

I tried feeding him again yesterday to no avail. He is looking like he needs a meal. Should I force feed? I’m starting to get stressed over this guy

1 Like

What are you trying this time, hopper or pinkie?

Hoppers (I need something to get past 10 characters)

2 Likes

Alright, and the hatchling is just disinterested, or balls up and hides?

Disinterested. They just don’t care. They slither around flicking their tounge but don’t pay any attention to the rat even if im holding it right in front of them

1 Like

If you’re using rat hoppers, give mice a try. A lot of times, hatchlings will take a mouse on their first feeding pretty easy and move onto rats the second or third feeding. Size of the prey and movement can also be a factor, but scent plays a big part too.

1 Like

Sorry about the confusion. I’m using mice

Are you using live or f/t?

2 Likes

Frozen thawed, I’m trying to get my hands on live but everywhere is out of stock right now

1 Like

Force feeding should be a LAST RESORT, I would give live mice a try before you start looking at that route, if at all possible.

1 Like

K ill try to get some ASAP

1 Like

If you have a petsmart store close to you. Go get a gerbil from them if you can’t find mice. they love gerbils.
It can be a one time thing until you find mice. Just don’t tell the people at petsmart what your going to do with them.
You can also use gerbil bedding
from their cage to make the mice smell like gerbil. That is what I have done to get mine to eat when they go off food.
It has worked.

3 Likes

After calling everywhere near me I finally found a live hopper. It took him a bit but he eventually ate. Thank you to everyone for helping!

6 Likes

Glad you found one and He figured it out.

3 Likes