Hatchling feeding advice for smaller geckos

I recently picked up a pair of dune geckos, while getting feeders for them is not an issue, I havent been seeing pinhead or 1/8 inch crickets localy. If they have babies would it make more sense to try and breed crickets to get tiny ones or buy tiny ones online, only they seem to sell online in larger numbers than I would be able to feed.
Or should I just try a different small feeder till they can eat the small 1/4 inch crickets. If so any suggestions?
If I were to try and breed crickets any tips on how or were to get tips on how?
#feeder insects

1 Like

I don’t know anything about Dune Geckos, but I’ve heard people use flightless fruitflies for some insectivorous species of gecko.

1 Like

I would recommend breeding crickets. To breed them you keep them in a screened, extremely well ventilated enclosure with unused egg cartons stacked. Always keep food in there (carrots, leafy greens, etc. avoid tomatoes) or else they might eat each other or die. If you decide to use additional water use cotton balls and replace them so they don’t mold. Add in a small container of substrate which they will lay their eggs in, take it out, I believe every two weeks, and replace it with another one. Incubate the substrate and after they hatch you’ll have pinhead crickets. I’m not sure about reptiles but in the tarantula/invert hobby FFF are typically not used because of their low nutritional content. Some other foods you could use are dubia nymphs, mealworm heads (which still move around), or BSFL. If you need to you and the geckos cooperated you could always use pieces of a food item.

1 Like