Hatchling not eating- 6 months old

I have a 6 month old hatchling who has never eaten on her own. A friend hatched her and was unsuccessful at getting her to eat so i stepped up but it hasnt been any better for me. She will only eat if assisted but will not strike or show any interest in eating otherwise.
She has shed 2 times and pooped once and her poop was very runny. She doesnt appear to have any deformities or disabilities. Though on occasion you can see small “dents” in her sides about half way down her body along her belly. Theyre hard to see and photograph.

I guess im wondering how long people tend to have to assist feed before they get hatchlings to eat. Ive let her go 3 weeks without food to see if that helps but it didnt.

Oh and shes currently 90g
Any suggestions are appreciated! Thank you!

2 Likes

What type of enclosure is she in? I had a super picky hatchling this year and I had to put him in a tub that was not only fully blacked out, but also had a tight fitting hide. He eventually took a live mouse fuzzy/hopper. I can post pictures of my setup that worked

2 Likes

Shes in a grey FB5 now, i tried a FB10 for a couple months as well.
Pics would be awesome if you dont mind!

1 Like

It was basically this setup, but with paper towels instead of the coconut husk, and I would take out the water bowl and toss in a fuzzy mouse, and leave them be for a bit. This is a 6qt sterilite tub for reference

3 Likes

That looks great for a fussy eater!

1 Like

I assist fed a ball python hatchling for 11 months, then one day she just went on a rampage. At this time if I’m thawing food she is at the front of the bin. My advice is to stick with it, persistence pays dividends.

1 Like

Thank you! That gives me hope!

1 Like

Okay! I will try that next. I do have her on coconut so maybe ill go back to papertowel and use a hide. The bowl is built into my tub so i cant remove it.
Is it worth trying a new tub style if this adjustment doesnt work? I try to give it a month before making a new adjustmemt. Is that enough time?

1 Like

I have a pinchi that was like this. Watched her drop from 90g down to 60ish. Tried everything. Had to assist to keep her going. Then one day, its like she just flipped a switch. Now she’s a monster that eats everything. Rips prey right out of the tongs like a nightmare. Don’t give up.:fist:

2 Likes

I had a hatchling go 2 months without ever eating after leaving the egg.

Kept an eye on weight and dropped from 68g when left the egg to 64g 2 months later. Showed no interest in eating, tried rats, mice and ASF. Didnt consider assist feeding until i saw more of a drop in weight.

Watched various youtube videos on different ways people have got them on food. Stumbled across one where put in a tub of shallow warm water (about 85f) for between 15 - 20 mins. Then i changed tub to a really small braplast 1.3l with just a water bowl and shredded up paper towel, left overnight and with a small ASF ontop to thaw out during the day. Was interested straight away when it was feeding time and struck and coiled after a few wiggles, scared the beejesus out of me as previously no interest whatsoever.

Just try something new and different, but give it chance to settle before attempting a feed.

2 Likes

PART 1)
Hi,
Not being lidless can be enough to put the “delicate” ones off, just you lifting the lid and then taking water bowl out is enough to scare them so if poss always go for a lidless rack and we use 3ltr Braplast for our Babies and if necessary with a hide.
But I appreciate that may not be an option and if isn’t then open that lid as carefully as poss :scream:
But the biggest trick of all is The Steaming Method we developed prob 30-40yrs ago when most stuff was WC and a pain to get eating and we have literally helped 1000’s of people to get non feeders of any size & age back on track.
Steaming Method to follow:

1 Like

PART 2)
STEAMING METHOD

When thawed a VERY good trick we use & has helped thousands over the years.

STEAMING

The way we feed our baby’s & Everything like this just because it triggers such a strong feeding response and of course recommend this method for the new parents of our beautiful baby’s & any fussy feeders of any age and prob everything once they see the response.

Start by thawing the prey item out in a warm room & once thawed properly we then use an old or cheap electric kettle in the snake room or somewhere nearish to the tub/tank you keep your snake in.

As the kettle comes to boil approx 3-5 seconds before clicks off with feeding tongs etc hold the preys skin around middle of its back & place the head of the prey into the spout & hold it there until boils & clicks off then quickly but steadily & quietly offer it straight to your snake & it will usually grab straight away as sometimes dangling by tail can put them off so by nipping its skin on its back towards its shoulders your offering more at a head on normal position of a live rodent.

If doesn’t grab but its tongue flicking & lookin half interested if it poss to leave your tub etc open without escape repeat with kettle again & as soon as you offer it & it senses the heat they usually grab.

We will try this up to 3 times & if not taken after third attempt just leave it in overnight just incase even though it prob won’t eat it, it’s worth a try.

If not eaten by morning, dispose of it then try steaming again in a week or so’s time.

We’ve never not had this work eventually & have converted 100’s from live to Frozen Thawed this way :slightly_smiling_face:

Also what can help if not one in try a hide but make sure it’s only just a bit bigger than it can fit into otherwise defeats the object of an hide & if in its hide when feeding before trying kettle try luring its head to or out of opening with the thawed prey & ya never know might just grab there & then but if not its then perfect for the kettle method as you already have its interest :slightly_smiling_face:

Good Luck & enjoy keeping these magnificent animals.

D & Jo

3 Likes